Valued Contributor

We are fostering a 2-yr old female, former stray.  She is affectionate and likes to be petted; however, I'm wondering if we should be trying to pick her up several times a day so it's something she's used to.

Any suggestions on how to go about it?                              

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23, if she will let you, absolutely pick her up.  She is in foster care for several  reasons, but it is important for her to be socialized.  For now, your home is her home and she should be treated as a family member.  Thank you for fostering.  You may become a foster failure, like many of us here.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

Thanks, @SXMGirl!   I will try it a couple times a day for however long she'll tolerate it!   Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Julie_23, if she will let you, absolutely pick her up.  She is in foster care for several  reasons, but it is important for her to be socialized.  For now, your home is her home and she should be treated as a family member.  Thank you for fostering.  You may become a foster failure, like many of us here.

7 times over for our family ~ Can’t imagine our home without 

them❣️

Honored Contributor

Since she was a stray, you don't know her history. So I would absolutely pick her up. And see how things go. If she is to be adopted you want her to be accustomed to being touched and picked up.

But I think you are going at a good pace. Not to try and do everything all at once. You don't know how long she was a stray and if she ever lived with humans. So she has a bit of adjusting ahead of her.

Thank you so much for being a foster.  

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23

My semi-feral was not used to being handled (and STILL isn't after 4.5 years).  I instituted "mandatory hugs" before each feeding, when she stood tap dancing around the food dish waiting for her meals.  It was very brief, enough for a kiss, and then I put her down.  Now I can give her a few pets and pick her up without the food dish, although she doesn't like to be carried or HELD.  

Respected Contributor

Start gently just putting your hands under her tummy to see her reaction.  Go slowly.

Valued Contributor

Re: Cat foster - question

[ Edited ]

Thanks, everybody, for the helpful input!!  Much appreciated!

Super Contributor

@lolakimono I do the exact thing with my Sophie. Not a lap cat unless she’s cold, but will let me pat her for a minute or two. Hates being carried, but wit will put up with it briefly.

Honored Contributor

@Goldenmoher

"Armpit" selfie with her snuggled in.

20180725_060250.jpg