Respected Contributor

Okay, I'm really conflicted. My dh and I have spent a lot of money on what is supposed to be high quality cat food, both dry and canned. But she doesn't like the canned food. (She will eat the "good" dry food.)

What she really likes and gobbles us is "kitty crack"; i.e., lower quality food, but she likes it. I'm talking about "Fancy Feast". I'm almost embarassed to admit we let her have it but that's about all I can get her to eat.

What do you think? I should add that she's 18 years old; we adopted her two years ago from a no-kill shelter because she was getting old and her "family" didn't want to be bothered taking care of an elderly cat. (Makes me angry just thinking about it.)

She actually seems to have perked up since we started giving her the food she likes and will eat. Despite her age, she's become more energetic, affectionate, a little more playful, plus her weight has stabilized.

Ok, there I've admitted it: my cat is a "crack" addict and I'm allowing it. Seriously, what would you do in this situation? No, I haven't checked with her vet yet but will at her next check-up in a few weeks.

Respected Contributor

At her age she deserves what she likes. I wonder if her previous owners fed her lesser quality food and that is why she likes it. She just needs to be happy and content. The days of eating healthy to live a longer life are behind her.

Super Contributor

That's funny about the Kiity crack. I feed my cats Fancy Feast everyday and they are fine, healthy and happy. I give them dry food, wet food and a vaiety of treats. They go to the doctor regulalrly and he has never said anything bout Fancy Feast not being a good food. If your cat is 18 and loving life with Fancy Feast you should be happy she's eating. Cats are the most finicky little eaters on earth. I have two indoor cats and usually 2-3 deck cats that have shown up and I feed them daily. They are also picky! My doctor sd put it down they will eat it when their hungry. Not true....

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   That's so nice that you adopted an older kitty!

So about the food.  There are many varieties of healthy cat food - the way I do it is to go to petco and buy like 1 or 2 small cans of many different varieties and flavors and see if there is anything that appeals!  To me that's a good way to find something that suits the taste of kitty.  You can also buy variety packs of different flavors of different brands.  You come to learn - does she like mushy food, or little pieces, or pate, or fish or ..... ?  So, personally I would do that 'experiment' at the same time I would mostly continue to feed the fancy feast.  Want to make sure she's happy and eating enough.  Also, I'm guessing that may be the food she has eaten most of her life?  You need to do slow transitions to other foods.    When I got my cat she had exclusively been raised on 'crack' dry food - but now I found healthy dry she likes and wet food as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten,  my "heart" cat lived for 21-1/2 years on what you call "kitty crack".  His entire life he only ate Fancy Feast and only three varieties.

The "kitty crack" my current cat devours (when she is in the mood) is Temptations.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten - DH is a veterinarian. He thinks high priced food is unnecessary, unless there's a reason for it. We use a variety. Our cats love Fancy Feast!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

First off - thank you for adopting a senior cat.

She's 18 and was dumped by her "family" - give her what she wants. She deserves it.  I didn't realize Fancy Feast was bad for cats??

Respected Contributor

I have a multi-cat household, and I have had cats with severe illnesses, nursing mothers, young kittens, abandoned cats, feral cats, picky purebreds, and many seniors.

The rule of thumb is that it is always better that your cats eat something, rather than nothing.

I, too, have spent lots of money on so-called highest quality healthy cat food, but what is the point if the cat walks away from it?

I do not consider Fancy Feast lower level cat food.  There are many, many variations and many flavors, and something should hopefully appeal to a feline.  My senior cat that had cancer would only eat Rachel Ray fish (not the chicken). Some of my cats come running when we cook fresh chicken--others will not turn their head.  I have one purebred cat who rarely eats any fish flavors.

Cats also get bored with eating the same thing and like variety. 

I usually mix at least three different flavors of hard food to serve with twice daily soft food servings.  

The one item that I definitely do limit are treats like Temptations.  Most cats like them, but overdosing on them is not healthy.

Your senior cat is allowed to eat whatever she wants whenever she wants!!

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

First off - thank you for adopting a senior cat.

She's 18 and was dumped by her "family" - give her what she wants. She deserves it.  I didn't realize Fancy Feast was bad for cats??

@scatcat,  all things being equal it isn't.  I had a diabetic cat that refused to even smell prescription food and Fancy Feast (classic pate only) is what my vet recommended I feed him.  He thrived for years on it.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten My late DH and I adopted a sweet kitty and all she ate was Fancy Feast and she thrived.  Also fed that to the previous cat who died, that's all he ate. Tried the expensive stuff and he wouldn't touch it.

Nothing wrong with giving a cat what they will eat. Getting them to eat is what is important. If she's happy, that's what counts, especially as a senior girl.