Valued Contributor

When not an infection, have you found things to help with ear itching in cats?

I've heard of things like probiotics or changing the diet.  I'm wondering if you've found any success with things that might help.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

I've heard of things like probiotics or changing the diet.  I'm wondering if you've found any success with things that might help.

Thanks!

ear mites?  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Julie_23 wrote:

Thanks!

ear mites?  

I agree with @jackthebear, ear itching without the presence of an infection is usually caused by ear mites.

There are drops you can use to get rid of them at any pet supply stores.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23,  have you cleaned your cat's ear recently?  If so did you see little black specks?  Like jackthebear my first thought was ear mites.  Another frequent cause is a yeast or bacterial infection. An allergy is also a possibility but lower on the list than mites or infection.

I strongly recommend having a vet check to determine the cause. Even though the ear may not look irritated or inflamed the problem can be in the middle ear and you would not be able to see that there is an infection started.

The more your cat is scratching its ears and/or shaking its head the longer the problem has been occurring.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

After I had to put down my long- haired orange cat in April, I adopted a five year old cat named Mia.  She had been fostered after being found pregnant and foraging for food.  I came into her life after her kittens were weaned.  Mia was spayed and had a full check up.  She was underweight, and she had ear and eye issues.  The eye issues were from infections and responded well to medication.  The ears are another story.  Mia's ears naturally develop a great amount of debris.  My vet has tried two antibiotics, ear sprays, etc.  Lately, Mia was on prednisone to address what seems to be itching with no cause.  The steroids did not stop the scratching but did lessen it.  As soon as I stopped the prednisone, the constant scratching, especially of the right ear, and intermittent head shaking started again.  Mia no longer is malnourished, has adapted well to inside life, and is a sweet girl.  She is better with scratching than she was, but I wish I could eliminate what appears to be itchy ears.

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23 

Your kitty may have something like eosinophilic dermatitis, which our cat has. It's the body going into overdrive in reaction to things in the environment, like dust mites or fragrances. It can also be a food intolerances or allergy. 

We started a process of elimination. First, I switched to Ultra Downy vs. regular Downy fabric softener. Big improvement! Then a couple of other items, like her food.

Stress can also be a factor. We worked with our vet and have got her to a much more comfortable place.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Thank you ALL so much!!   Everyone's input was incredibly helpful.  I really appreciate it.

Thanks again, everybody.

And, @KailaS, I am so sorry for the loss of your cat in April.