Valued Contributor

Cat - considering getting another - any input?

Hi - we have a foster cat that we adopted (she is now about 3-4 years old, we think).  They recommended giving her an adjustment period where it is just her for about 6 months or so before considering any additions.

She is at that playful age, and I would like for her to have another cat to play with (I play with her, of course, too).

She is spayed and, as mentioned, about 3-4 years of age.  I would like to go the route of a rescue cat, but I am wondering if you recommend trying to find another female cat or a male cat?

Thanks for any input.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cat - considering getting another - any input?

@Julie_23 

Was there another cat she was bonded with at the time you fostered?

I've been a multiple cat household until the last 4 years.  None of my cats were really all that chummy with each other so I have no advice.

I think whether cats like another cat is dicey.  At least that's been my experience.

It's wonderful you want to give a home to another cat.  I'm sure others will comment.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had the best luck getting opposite sexes (spayed & neutered, of course).  Had 2 neutered domestic females that never did get along, but it only involved hissing.  Our male got along with both.

Adopted a male bengal raised with dogs to be a companion to our other male bengal (both neutered) and had to return the 2nd one after a month as it was very aggressive to our first one, who was used to playing chase with our female bengal who had passed. I suggested he go to a one cat household.

Denise
Super Contributor

cats are very territorial. in every case we've gotten a new kitty, to play with the older one, there have been terrible hissy fits and resentment. it has taken a great deal of time for them to bond and sometimes not at all. if you are going into this thinking everything will be peachy keen. furgetaboutit. there will be an adjustment period. how long depends on your cats. good luck. 

Contributor

We have added many cats over the years. It can work if you consider the personalities of the cats and introduce them properly. Male or female doesn't really matter. Google adding a cat much info on introducing cats. As far as personalities the shelter or rescue organization can help you with that. In my opinion a cat that has a companion in most cases is always beneficial to both cats. However there are definitely cats that prefer to be solo. Proceed thoughtfully and you will be fine.

Respected Contributor

Also, while this is common knowledge now, it's recommended to introduce the cats slowly.  (Back in the day, we'd just throw them in together). 

Put the new cat in a separate room for several days with it's own litterbox, food & water.  Let them sniff each other under the door.  It's even suggested you "switch them out" and/or put some towels/blankets that you can switch out so they get used to the other's scent.

Of course that didn't work when we acquired our retired bengal queen Millie to be a companion to Rocko.  After peeking in the 3rd time, she shot past me out of the spare bedroom and proceeded to explore the house as if she owned the place.  Rocko respectively  trailed behind like "Wow, another cat!!".  Might have also been something biological as Millie was Rocko's great grandma.

cimg0090.jpg

Did the same with Kimo, but it just never "took".  He just looked at Rocko as a rival"Alpha Cat"  I guess

Denise
Super Contributor

Good luck! I just adopted a sweet shy senior girl who needed a home. I already have 2 older boy kitties who tolerate each other but aren't best friends. I'm doing the separate and get to know each other under the door thing right now. The boys hiss and growl at me after I've spent time with the new girl. I've carried her into the room they are in and there is a lot of hissing involved. I'm thinking this may take lots of time and patience but hopefully it will work out. I've had many cats (and dogs) over many years and each situation is different. Years ago I almost didn't take a very shy, young cat who desperately needed a home because I had an old girl who was fighting kidney disease and I didn't think it would be fair to her. I did end up taking the younger cat and after a rocky start, she became the love of my life. I have pictures of the older sick kitty and the younger shy kitty sharing a kitty bed just a couple months later. I'm SO thankful I took the time and patience to adopt that sweet girl. She was a special needs kitty and I had her for 13 years before she passed in April. I miss her everyday.

Respected Contributor

I have a multiple cat household through multiple decades.

The one time I brought in an adult female cat two of my other adult female cats were so angry/fearful of the "invader" that they would never get along with her for more than ten years!

I now introduce only kittens to the family, which has worked out extremely well, so all my cats are bonded and harmonize with one another.

The females are very close to each other and sleep together a lot.  The males sleep and play together.  

I also have dogs, and most of the cats get along with the dogs, except for the most senior male cat (15 years old), who thinks the dogs should kowtow to him.  They disagree.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I've just been lucky, but whenever I get a new cat, I haven't had a problems introducing them to each other.

When you live in a small one bedroom apartment, it's kinda hard to do the separate room thing.

Years and years ago, I had two adult male cats, who got along with each other.

unfortunately, one passed away.

A few weeks later, I brought home a male kitten (Cody).

When I walked in the door, I said in a sing-song voice "Charlie! (that was my other cat) I have a surprise for you!" and I showed Charlie to Cody and vicea versa.

They took to each other right off the bat.

In fact, Charlie took it upon himself to be Cody's protector.

In 2018, my next door neighbor got a kitten, named Buddy. (This was when I was still living in the apartment complex)

Well, Buddy never really bonded with my neighbor.

You have to understand that at this apartment complex, everybody was friendly with everybody, and looked out for each other, and was on a cul-de-sac.

We would let our cats outside, and when Buddy saw my two cats (Charlie and Cody), he was interested in becoming friends with them, and began hanging out with my cats, who didn't mind the youngster.

And today, Cody and Buddy are still best of friends.

So, while there is a "correct" way to introduce cats to each other, for me personally, I've always had luck with cats getting to know each other right off the bat.

So maybe I'm of no help, but I wish you the best of luck in getting a new kitty!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Thank you -- all of you-- so much.  Your replies were more helpful than you know.  I'm glad I asked the question here.

Again, my many thanks and sincere appreciation to each of you.

And, @grandkidsrgreat , I am so sorry for your recent loss.  Also, @denisemb and @Anonymous032819 for your losses, be it recent or awhile ago.  There aren't words to describe that absolute heartbreak.  My heart goes out to you.