Esteemed Contributor

Cat Owners - Sifting Litter Pans

I'm thinking of switching my cats (I have three kitties) regular litter pans, to the kind that you sift and use pellets.

I have found that I can buy a 40 pound bag of pine pellets for horse stalls, for like $6!

That is a considerable savings over buying 40 pounds of clay litter.

Have you found the box to be any "smellier" with the pine pellets?

Any tip, tricks and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Re: Cat Owners - Sifting Litter Pans

I use a system that was recommended by several folks on YouT~be. I highly recommend that you go over and take a look. I have been using their system for about six months now and I love it! No, it doesn't smell any worse than clay litters, but it is so much more convenient, cheaper, less dust, and less tracking. They use pine pellets that you use in horse stalls, etc.  So much cheaper than pine litter. Works beautifully.

Trusted Contributor

Neither of my cats accepted the change over to those products. I tried to transition them using pellets and clumping litter in a regular litter box until I could reduce the clay content and use only pellets to switch to the sifting type box.  

No luck. The cats hated the pellets. They were not happy with the "digging" feel and wanted to bury their waste and couldn't get adapted. My investment wound up being turned over to another cat household. Cats can be very fussy with their litter box habits. Mine hated pine scent and the feel of the pellets on their paws.

Both my cats were about  10 years old and maybe if they were younger they might have been better about the change. They misbehaved by rejecting use of the litter box and made mess elsewhere. As soon as I restored what they had, clumping litter, they resumed good habits. Charming!

Yes, there was a difference in odor control, not for the better. You may find a better experience than I had. Try to mix pellets with clay in the regular box for a few days to see how it's accepted. Don't just switch the product and the box immediately.  

I hope it works. Maybe don't buy 40 lbs right away!

Super Contributor

We have used pellets for years and often buy on sale for under $4/40 lbs.  The boxes smell like shaved wood, even when they’ve been used.  We have sifting pans and non-sifting pans.  One cat prefers the sifting pans, but others prefer non-sifting.  

Esteemed Contributor

What I am thinking of doing is, using one sifting litter box with the pellets, and keeping two of the regular kind.

That way,my cats have a choice, and I can see which one they prefer.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What I am thinking of doing is, using one sifting litter box with the pellets, and keeping two of the regular kind.

That way,my cats have a choice, and I can see which one they prefer.

@Anonymous032819 

Some people like the pellets, but they don't really have a soft footing, and can nick or cut delicate little paws.  So, watch out for that.

Super Contributor

I have used the Tidy Cats Breeze system for years.  It has pellets, not pine, which dont smell.  The piddle goes through to a pad which I change weekly (for 1 cat).  Pellets are usually changed every 3 months.  Poo is just scooped off the top.  I love this system... no dust, no mess, no smell.