Esteemed Contributor

Cat Litter Recommendation for Icegoddess

[ Edited ]

When it comes to cat litter, I've bought them all in the last 20+ years.

I require 3 features from a clumping litter, and failure to meet satisfaction in any one is a deal breaker for me.

1. must be virtually dust free, meaning no visable dust cloud rising up when cat is scratching around in the box, or I'm scooping out the boxes.

Of course, you never pour new litter from a height.

2. must quickly form hard clumps that resist breaking apart when scooped, or the cat scratches in the litter.

3. low tracking. This drives me nuts, and I've found the very fine litter tracks everywhere like sand. So I prefer the litters that tend to have larger pieces, but not so large that it interferes with clumping.

@Icegoddess,  this is a reply to your post in the Home forum.

🐈Go online, see if anyone in your area sell Litter Delight unscented, scoopable/35lb box.

edit- product was just discontinued and replacement is terrible...see my 2nd post below.

🐈If not, the clumping litter from ALDI's is 2nd best at "low dust", plus hard fast clumps and not bad tracking.

Both the above are lower priced litters that are extremely low dust, also excellent at quickly forming hard clumps that resist breaking apart when scooping, and equal or less tracking than more expensive brands.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cat Litter Recommendation for Icegoddess

I've been using this one for over 2 years, we really like it.  You can buy it from chewy, specialty pet stores, and I even found it at our grocery store.

• Powerful, concentrated formula traps odors and forms tight clumps on contact. No more nasty ammonia smell and clean up is a breeze!
  • Natural compressed corn formula is free of silica dust, so you and your pet can breathe easy with a 99% dust-free litter.
  • Environmentally friendly: flushable formula is safe for septic and sewer systems.
  • Quickly forms small, tight, easy to scoop clumps that result in less litter waste — a little goes a long way.
  • Pet, people and planet friendly — a highly effective product that you can feel good about using.

cat litter.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

I recommend the “house brand” from Petsmart. Their in-house brand is very, very good and is reasonably priced.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness @Icegoddess, is my face red!!!

I just logged on to see if my Litter Delight happened to be on sale this week, and I see they've discontinued the formula that I recommended in the 35lb box!

Worse yet, the new Litter Delight formula (40lb box) has a slew of bad reviews!

Thank goodness I still have four of the older boxes.

Sorry I didn't check that before posting. But I've been buying that for years, I know it's a favorite from talking to other shoppers there, and didn't foresee this. Who expects their favorite cat litter to be discontinued???  🐒

Ok, well I guess I'll be buying a lot more ALDI  litter in the future.

@RainyDayGal, is that made from ground up, compressed corn cobs?

I've ruled out all the flushable litters. I have a friend who only uses flushables, but they're just not for me.

The clumps are made to crumble very easily under pressure in order to flush without clogging the plumbing. Because of that I find they also crumble too easily when the cats are scratching around.

I hate trying to pick out little crumbles. lol!

It's also waaay out of my price range.

Depending on sales, I'll pay 22¢ - 28¢ per pound for clumping litter.

Honored Contributor

another vote for Worlds Best--I get it on auto del from Amazon every 2 months---lasts a long time as I buy the 28 # bag--

Super Contributor

I try to find World's Best in the green bag. It's expensive but lasts a long time. I use this in 2 of my 3 litter boxes. Right now I'm using Tidy Cat light version in one of the boxes. It's getting hard to carry the regular heavy ones. The Tidy Cat is in my cat enclosure in my garage (there's a kitty door from the laundry room). I have 2 cats and they both use all 3 of the litter boxes. The one in the garage has quite a bit of tracking but I don't mind out there. Just sweep it up when I clean the litter. I have found in the past that the World's Best either comes with or attracts little bugs. There are some comments about this if you Google it. It wasn't enough of a problem for me to quit using it though.