Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN I'm glad you've got an answer as to what her problem is. I would only try one thing at a time.  If you're going to add a stool softener I wouldn't change her diet to one for constipation.  I would leave it as is for now.  

I hope things improve for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN  It's good to know what you're dealing with and what you can do to help your kitty.   The Lactulose works by drawing water from the tissues into the intestines.  You seem to have strategicaly placed sources of water for her,  just keep an eye out that she is drinking from them because even if she Doesn't drink the Lactulose will Stil  draw what fluids she has into the intestine and dehydrate her.  Hopefully it will soften her stools enough that she can pass them more easily.  A little poopy butt is a small inconveniance compaired to how much more comfortable kitty will feel.

Frequent Contributor

hi jelly,

what is the name of the dry cat food that you give her?

Respected Contributor

@leeleeB wrote:

hi jelly,

what is the name of the dry cat food that you give her?

In January of 2021, my Vet recommended a couple of different brands for her Gastro-Intestinal issues because she was throwing up and hacking quite a bit.

The brand I went with is Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diet EN (Gastro-Enteric).  It required authorization from the Vet (ordered it thru Chewy).

She enjoys the food and has been eating it for the past 7 months or so, and it did clear up her hacking and throwing up issues, but I feel it is constipating.

Another brand he had recommended back in January was Royal Canin and I see they make one that is high fiber and comes highly reviewed for cats w/this mega-colon issue.  I may give that one a try, but have started her on the Rx and don't want to change the food right away too.  One thing at a time.  I will see how she does w/the lactulose 3x day.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing