Honored Contributor

Cat Deterent Mats - Do They Work?

[ Edited ]

We have an ongoing annoyance with our cat.  It's our fault, I know, but we haven't been able to correct it.  When we first got him, we put his open style litter box in the downstairs bathroom shower and pulled the curtain.  We'd leave door cracked so the cat could have access and the dog was trained that the room was off limits.  We did this because all we had was the open style box and I was concern that the dog would snack on the contents if it was accessible.  When we got the dome style litter box we set it up in a different location - the dog leaves it alone there.  Even though the shower is scrubbed regularly and we've used bleach, ammonia, sprayed "Cat Scat", have done everything we can think of, if the bathroom door is left open, he'll still go in the shower to deficate. The way we've been dealing with it is to just keep the door closed all the time.  When it is, the cat is fine using his litter box - no surprises anywhere else  in house, it's only the downstairs shower when he can get to it.  All that said, I have seen these plastic mats with little plastic spikes that act as a deterent since the cat wouldn't want to walk over them.  I'm thinking of putting one outside the shower and another inside the shower.  

Has anyone tried these to keep your cat away from a space you don't want them to go?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Cat Deterent Mats - Do They Work?

I wouldn't want to do anything like that because it would hurt the cat.  I would just leave the door closed or put a litter box back in the shower.  (I know that's not what you were asking.)

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I don’t think it would hurt his paws assuming it’s not really sharp. I had a Siamese and there was an ice storm. The grass was covered with ice and he went out. He just stood and waited until I picked him up. He didn’t want to walk on it. It didn’t hurt his feet.

It may take only once and the cat will remember. It’s worth a try!

I tried the scat mat for dogs & cats for my Jack Russells. It’s a small shock. They would go around or jump over it to go in the living room. I solved the problem with a decorative wooden screen that folds. But they don’t jump or climb.

A dog gate may work but a cat could jump over.

Respected Contributor

Does kitty like the covered catbox?  Or is she using it because shes a good kitty and there's no other "good kitty" option now that the open box in her original "I'm supposed to "go" here" Place has been taken away?  Or, Some cats just prefer an open box and thats why she goes back in the tub.   Not sure what to do here but If I was trying to reteach kitty to go somewhere else I'd do it gradually.  Put the uncovered box just outside the tub and use the nubby pads in the tub.  then after a few days Cover the box so she gets the clue this is (are) my litterbox(s) now. Then move the box outside the bathroom and close the door so she's using the covered box and outside the bathroom. then move it down the hall closer to the desired final destination but within sight of where it used to be. After a few days there move it even closer to the new location and so on until it's where you want it.  I'd still keep the nubbin pad in the bathtub as a deterant since it's all about " what's in it for Me?" when training a cat. Gotta make it worth their while to do something.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Does kitty like the covered catbox?  Or is she using it because shes a good kitty and there's no other "good kitty" option now that the open box in her original "I'm supposed to "go" here" Place has been taken away?  Or, Some cats just prefer an open box and thats why she goes back in the tub.   Not sure what to do here but If I was trying to reteach kitty to go somewhere else I'd do it gradually.  Put the uncovered box just outside the tub and use the nubby pads in the tub.  then after a few days Cover the box so she gets the clue this is (are) my litterbox(s) now. Then move the box outside the bathroom and close the door so she's using the covered box and outside the bathroom. then move it down the hall closer to the desired final destination but within sight of where it used to be. After a few days there move it even closer to the new location and so on until it's where you want it.  I'd still keep the nubbin pad in the bathtub as a deterant since it's all about " what's in it for Me?" when training a cat. Gotta make it worth their while to do something.

@candys mineThe cat is fine using the covered box.  I really think he likes it in there.  When I'm cleaning or changing the litter and the dome is resting on the floor, he'll just go in there to hang out.  It's kind of funny to pick up the lid to put it back on and find the cat sitting there...kinda like the game where you have to find the ball under the right cup.  LOL

Our situation has been going on for a very long time - a couple of years.  Keeping the bathoom door closed has worked.  There's no reason why we couldn't keep doing that except for the fact that we just want to be able to leave it open because that's how it should be.  When we moved his litter, we did do it in steps using the domed box; from the shower stall to the the floor right outside it, a little further away but still in the bathroom, then to the new location.  Leaving it in the hallway wouldn't work for us, let alone an open box since we have a dog.  Plus at this point, returning the box to the shower and starting over doesn't make sense to me.  I think I'm going to get the spikey pads and give them a try.  They seem like the best option now and a good compromise rather than shock pad, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, unless your cat is like mine and loves to play in water you could try leaving about an inch of water in the shower.  If he is water adverse it should only take once or twice for him to learn the shower is no longer his.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I would put a litter box back in the shower and leave the covered one where it is or he will be pooping on that floor if you move it.

Honored Contributor

I've been mom to many cats over the years.  I have two right now.  In the past I've had as many as 4 at one time (they all found me).

Anyway, cats can be onery.  They don't like change, especially when it comes to their litter boxes.

My advice is to try two things.  Maybe keep the door shut where you don't want the litter box used.  Put the litter box where you want it.

I think the water trick was a good idea but that will @#$% off the cat (not a really good idea).  When you don't realize it til it's too late....the cat might be going to the potty in other places.....they can be...well...obstinate...

I'm surprised the cat adapted so well to the closed box.  That's a plus for you.  I've had cats that want no part of that.  My cat (Katie) is a psycho.  In close to 6 or so years (can't remember) I've never been able to even pick her up...at all.  If she THINKS a storm is coming she'll had for hours and hours.

Anyway, you're just going to have to try various things.  But you absolutely must keep an eye out for poop, etc. where you don't want it.  Cats will do that when they're angry.  I had a cat who sprayed over and over.  We finally had to remove the carpeting and seal the sub floor with varnish to get rid of the smell.  It was horrible.  He was unhappy with us.