Esteemed Contributor
There are very good crates (rated on the site you referrence) that come in a size for your dog. I use the Ruff Tuff crates for my dogs and am very happy with the construction and function. I could not imagine doing Interstate traveling without having them protected in a crate.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor
Chloe has a seatbelt clip that clips on to her harness and into the seatbelt.
Honored Contributor

Yes, they do mention and rate a lot of different crates on that website, but only three of them passed the crash test.  Two of the three would be too small for my dog, and one of them is for a 75 lb. dog.  My dog weighs 23 lbs.  I don't understand why these companies don't make a larger crate.  23 lbs. is a medium sized dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I e-mailed PetEgo.com to see if their Jet Set Forma Frame would work for my dog.  Their large says that it goes up to 22 lbs. and is 24 in. long.  My dog is 23 lbs. and 18 in. long.  I asked them if that would give her enough space to comfortably lie down.  French Bulldogs are shorter in general than other dogs of their weight.  This rated in the top 3 of the crash tests.  I hope this will work for my dog.  I appreciate everyone's input.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor
My dogs are 45 and 55 lbs and use the large Ruff Tuff crates (believe 24" tall and 36" long). The smaller ones they make are: Intermediate, Medium and Small. Do not know which crates you are looking at but if you serious about crates they are out there.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Car Restraints For Dogs

[ Edited ]

Will also say that carriers are designed for small dogs, so people can carry them around. Crates are made for dogs of all sizes.Two different products for two different purposes. 

Honored Contributor

I use a the Snoozer Pet Lookout for my chihuahua. If the dog can gets it's feet tangled in the tether then it's adjusted much too long. I've never had that happen. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

We had the normal steel crate for our dog and we were in a crash. The car turned oiver several times. The car - a suburban - was totaled. DH and i  had some injuries from the seat belts - bruised and broken ribs and DH had a broken shoulder and our weim was uninjured, except for being frightened.  Another time we took our brand new pickup truck to the dealer to have running boards applied and the dealer wouldn't let us take the dog into the waiting room, and it was raining so we had to leave her in the truck in her crate. The idiots dropped the truck off the lift onto it's side. Totaled the truck - dog , once again uninjured , but frightened. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We had the normal steel crate for our dog and we were in a crash. The car turned oiver several times. The car - a suburban - was totaled. DH and i  had some injuries from the seat belts - bruised and broken ribs and DH had a broken shoulder and our weim was uninjured, except for being frightened.  Another time we took our brand new pickup truck to the dealer to have running boards applied and the dealer wouldn't let us take the dog into the waiting room, and it was raining so we had to leave her in the truck in her crate. The idiots dropped the truck off the lift onto it's side. Totaled the truck - dog , once again uninjured , but frightened. 

That's amazing!  I'm so glad your dog wasn't injured either time.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Car Restraints For Dogs

[ Edited ]

Reading that certain harnesses are now considered inferior is disturbing.  I did a lot of research, read reviews, etc. and ended up buying a Kurgo Tru-Fit for our boy, and now it's thought to not be good by this organization.  I can't use a crate in our car and I prefer having my dog in the "way back" rather than the back seat.  I've always felt he was secure using the Kurgo because I have him tethered, using two leashes that are attached to tie down rings that are built into the sides of the car.  There's also a D-ring in the chest area of the harness, which is where we secure him with the leash latches.  He's able to sit if he wants to, but once we're on the road and he's used to it, he just lays down for the majority of the ride.  Now I don't know what to do or what I could replace his current harness with.  He's big so that kind of limits options, too.