Esteemed Contributor

I have had dogs all my life and when I was able to drive my dog went with me .... Over the years I always had a crate in the back seat with the dog in it and thank God I never had a problem .... I have always had minature poodles approximately 15 lbs and they just curl up and go to sleep in the crate...... the breeder that I get my dogs from always suggest using a crate in the car.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Reading that certain harnesses are now considered inferior is disturbing.  I did a lot of research, read reviews, etc. and ended up buying a Kurgo Tru-Fit for our boy, and now it's thought to not be good by this organization.  I can't use a crate in our car and I prefer having my dog in the "way back" rather than the back seat.  I've always felt he was secure using the Kurgo because I have him tethered, using two leashes that are attached to tie down rings that are built into the sides of the car.  There's also a D-ring in the chest area of the harness, which is where we secure him with the leash latches.  He's able to sit if he wants to, but once we're on the road and he's used to it, he just lays down for the majority of the ride.  Now I don't know what to do or what I could replace his current harness with.  He's big so that kind of limits options, too.

@JeanLouiseFinch, yes, it's such a dilemma.  I feel like all I've done for a week is study these findings and read reviews about the various harnesses and crates.  I still haven't made a final decision on what I'm going to do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau