Honored Contributor

Canadian Family Rescues Arctic Fox From Iceberg!

A starving and cold Arctic fox found clinging to a teetering iceberg has been saved in a daring rescue by an eagle-eyed couple fishing for crabs.   

Mallory Harrigan and her boyfriend Cliff Russell were recently four miles off mainland Labrador in William's Harbour, Canada, when they spotted what they thought was a baby seal.

However, upon closer inspection, they realized it was a starving and helpless Arctic fox stuck on the iceberg.

The kindhearted crew, which included Russell's son Alan, decided to attempt a daring rescue, using their vessel, the Northern Swan, to batter the iceberg. 

They had to ram the ice to break it up, and then scoop the animal up from the cold water.

Harrigan told Bored Panda: ‘It probably got stuck out there looking for a meal. Cliff says he thinks he got there to check out a bit of meat on the ice and it broke apart, sending him to sea.

'I was able to feed and water him once he woke up.'

After refusing to eat the bread and crackers the rescuers initially offered, the Arctic fox finally succumbed to another treat – a tin of Vienna sausages.

She added: 'We all then released him onto an island in our harbour.'

The crew dropped off the fox in a dog house on an island where Harrigan told vocm.com there were ponds and 'lots of little critters and stuff' to sustain it.

They used the vessel, the Northern Swan, to break up the iceberg, so they could scoop up the fox, above, and bring it on board

Adorable video of when he left his temporary shelter, headed for the woods!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

Re: Canadian Family Rescues Arctic Fox From Iceberg!

That fox was one lucky little guy that just the right people came along to rescue him.  What a wonderful story.

Trusted Contributor

God Bless these wonderful people for rescuing that sweet fox!  He is beautiful and I am so happy that he is safe.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom,

Thanks for posting a great story!

https://noguiltlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/have-a-nice-day-smiley-face.jpg

Honored Contributor

That fox was very lucky they came along!  I hope he ended up being okay.

On NextDoor.com someone posted that they had lost their Arctic Fox.  Apparently some people have them as pets.  When I Googled it, it doesn't sound like they're very affectionate pets.  I had never heard of having a fox as a pet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Awww.  People like that renew my faith in human kindness.  He was meant to be saved.  Yay!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

That fox was very lucky they came along!  I hope he ended up being okay.

On NextDoor.com someone posted that they had lost their Arctic Fox.  Apparently some people have them as pets.  When I Googled it, it doesn't sound like they're very affectionate pets.  I had never heard of having a fox as a pet.

I love foxes.  But I would never attempt to have one for a pet.  My father in law actually had one when he was young.  He had a leash and would take it out for walks.  I would just as soon leave them to live in the wild as they were meant to. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiesofers wrote:

God Bless these wonderful people for rescuing that sweet fox!  He is beautiful and I am so happy that he is safe.  

Yes...Ita...God bless all who were involved...what a BEAUTY!!!!! 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West