Respected Contributor

Our friends' dog can, she learned that W-A-L-K spells 'walk' and goes to the door!  LOL

It is so cute!

Respected Contributor

That's adorable!  I rarely spell in front of Jasper, so he hasn't learned to spell.

Honored Contributor

@AbrowneyegirlI'm sure it is!  Wonder if  the owner's spell "WALK" in the same tone almost every time?

Years ago when I had my Westie, the friend who often went all sorts of places with me insisted that the dog knew he was going along when she showed up in her sneakers rather than her good shoes.  They are smart animals.

Honored Contributor

All of my dogs could definitely spell!

My sheltie hated baths and once he recognized the word, he would hightail it underneath our pedestal waterbed where we couldn't reach him, so we started to spell it.

Eventually, by the time we got to 'B...A...', there he went, LOL!

So we went thru several variations of the word 'bath', but he always figured it out!

For our current boy, Kingston, he definitely knows how to spell 'cookie' and 'treat' and runs straight to the pantry door where he knows his cookies/treats are!

They're kept in a large LockNLock storage bin with the flip top lid and he uses his nose to open the flip top for us and waits till we retrieve him one (or 2), LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMomThe only thing my Westie never seemed to learn was that if I left his leash on him after a walk because I wanted to be able to catch him for a bath or maybe a vet's visit, he just couldn't hide under a corner table.  No idea what I would have done if he's figured out a way to pull that leash under him!

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@AbrowneyegirlI'm sure it is!  Wonder if  the owner's spell "WALK" in the same tone almost every time?

Years ago when I had my Westie, the friend who often went all sorts of places with me insisted that the dog knew he was going along when she showed up in her sneakers rather than her good shoes.  They are smart animals.

My one dog does this!!!  She always looks to see if I am wearing shoes vs slippers. 

Shoes= walk is a possibility, so she waits and watches. 

Slippers= she goes back to sleep.   

They really are smart.

Honored Contributor

Fortunatly NO.  I spell the five words  Buddy knows if I am taking about them.  Otherwise he hears the words and knows what I am saying.  The words Buddy knows are.

Walk

Treat

Ball

Ride

Dinnertime

Not sure if he knows the words or the sound they make when I say them... But If I call him from the Back yard and he is ignoring me... all I have to Say is  WANT A TREAT?! 

and he comes in running as fast as he can.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes.  My last dog knew B-A-T-H and W-A-L-K.  You can guess which one made her hide under the bed!  😬🙄

Fortunately, my current dog is illiterate. 🧐

Respected Contributor

I SWEAR my cat can READ!

If I take a can out of the pantry and it's BEANS he comes running - he loves all sorts of canned beans and his favorite is chickpeas.

If I take a can of SOUP out - he looks at me with his usual bored to death look.

I say to my husband - that dang cat can read - I swear - he knows what the can says!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Oh, yes.  My last dog knew B-A-T-H and W-A-L-K.  You can guess which one made her hide under the bed!  😬🙄

Fortunately, my current dog is illiterate. 🧐

@geezerette 

LOL!!!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.