Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

I SWEAR my cat can READ!

If I take a can out of the pantry and it's BEANS he comes running - he loves all sorts of canned beans and his favorite is chickpeas.

If I take a can of SOUP out - he looks at me with his usual bored to death look.

I say to my husband - that dang cat can read - I swear - he knows what the can says!

@MoonieBaby 

Aunt KO, that's the first cat I've ever known that had a bean fetish, LOL!!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@ IG

He is one odd kiddencat!

He really does love them.

I make soups and stews a lot (even if my husband doesn't want them - I make 'em for me). Shadow likes kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, he really loves lima beans and chickpeas are his favorite. 

The other veggies he likes are corn, peas and broccoli.

He stole a stalk of broccoli off my plate one time whilst I was sitting on the couch having steamed broccoli and pasta.

When I tried to get the stalk outta his lil catmouth he literally growled at me. 

I had to get my bum off the couch and run after him, corner him under the kitchen table and pry the stalk outta his face.  

To this day when I steam broccoli, I trim top off and let him enjoy a piece or two.

He of course is a fowl, fish and meat eater - but veggies are his thang!

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby 

Too funny!

I've had lots of cats, dogs, horses, a monkey and everything in between in my lifetime, but I've never had a cat that liked veggies, LOL!

Kingston loves all sorts of veggies, though!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

Nope, and I'm purposefully not teaching her, LOL! 

Esteemed Contributor

No, but she can tell time.

Always know the time of day when she gets her afternoon meal. Even though

we know what time it is she reminds us with barking, dancing around and 

jumping if we don't give it right when she starts to get crazy. Like c'mon get

my meal ready because I am ready to chow down! She is smart.

Respected Contributor

My childhood basset/shepherd mix was SO smart!  She had a huge vocabulary (that she could understandSmiley Happy!) and yes, there were a few words she could "spell"!  Cookie and dinner among them!

Esteemed Contributor

It would seem mine does, all two of them.  S N A C K S... C O O K I ES... just  a few words.  Sometimes I think they are reading  my mind.  

Valued Contributor

All of my Goldens have been very, very smart.   Yes, I'm a proud mama, but it's really true.

One, in particular, understood so much that we had to resort to spelling and it didn't work.  

We would have to spell HUNGRY when asking if any of us were hungry.  Well, she would jump up and start licking her lips and wagging her tail.

When we would ask if she wanted to go OUT she would run to the door.

At bedtime, we would say are you SLEEPY?  She would jump up and start walking to the bedroom.

There's more, but you get the idea.

This was a brilliant dog who understood so much and you could talk to her as if she was a human.

I miss all my sweet babies so much.

Our present Golden, sad to say, is not as smart as those who came before her.  We love her anyway.

Respected Contributor

i have really enjoyed this thread!   and yes, my dog knows several words by spelling as have already been mentioned.   but the thing that my fiance cannot get over is how she reacts to certain commercials on tv.  she knows, from the very beginning of the commercial what is coming and runs to the tv in anticipation.  she loves to bark at dogs and horses, etc.    unfortunately, we can never watch any animal shows on tv LOL.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can your dog spell?

[ Edited ]

When I was young we had a German Shepard who learned how to "spell":  W-A-L-K; L-E-A-S-H and

B-A-L-L !   If we spelled walk or leash he would get his leash and run to the door.  If we spelled ball he would get his ball and again run to the door.