Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can’t stand my “daughter’s” cat!

Appreciate the cats " catness." You should never "hate" a cat. This is an opportunity for you to develop your heart. 

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Allthingsgirly67   "How do I get him to stop being annoying?"  By knowing how much you love your daughter and knowing how much she loves this kitty.  What a wonderful mommy you are to accept this cat in your home.  

Also, relationships with animals change over time.  My husband didn't care for the tiny pup I brought home, but he quickly came to love and cherish. I hope you have many happy times with the new kitty!

@phoenixbrd I so appreciate your unfailingly kind and thoughtful responses. Your advice here, was picture purrrfect. Bless you. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 

Cats need as much affection, attention and care as dogs. It sounds as though this cat is new to your household, so it is likely quite scared. It came from a shelter/rescue and is likely still quite terrified. This requires patience, a lot of patience, on your part.

1.  Try to keep the cat to a regular routine. Feeding time is always the same. Fresh water every day. Keep the litter box clean and place it in an area of privacy in your home. These things show love to a cat, who is above all a fastidiously clean animal and likes it that way.

2.  Play with the cat in the right way, and a few times EVERY DAY. They like interactive play, especially toys suspended on wands that you can whip about and they chase.  Just throwing a couple of toys on the floor doesn't cut it. They need to "hunt."  A play session before bedtime is an excellent way to help them sleep at night.

3.  A little snack of soft food before bedtime helps.

4.  Let the cat come to you. It likely feels your annoyance and when you approach it, it's going to run. Sit quietly in your living room or den, or wherever, and dangle your arm down. Let your kitty come up to you and sniff it.

5.  Never shout at a cat, even if you're annoyed. They'll fear you forever, you'll never gain its trust, and it serves no purpose.

6. Having a new cat is like having a new baby in the house. You're the human--show patience.

7.  Remember that cats are sentient creatures (so are humans). They can sense quite a bit in your attitude. If you're behaving in the manner of your post, this cat is already afraid of you. Be the bigger "person," as it were, and show the cat that your home is open to him/her.

8.  If you add playtime to the schedule, especially before bed, and you get howling at night, a vet visit is in order. Often howling at night is a sign of conditions, like high blood pressure, that can be treated easily. If the cat hasn't been examined recently anyway, it should be.

9.  Has this cat been spayed or neutered?  If it's the right age, especially if it's a male, it's time for that procedure.

It's hard with a new cat in the house. But the fact that you came here looking for advice shows you have the capacity to treat your new resident with compassion. That's what he/she needs from you the most!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allthingsgirly67 - Rehome the cat to somewhere that he will be loved.

The cat isn't responsible for being a cat, nor for your daughter's lack of responsibility for his care.

The fact that you say you "hate this cat" and you want to know how to get him to not be so "annoying", says it all.

You're not going to stop him being a cat and it's unkind to him to try; you'll just continue to resent him more and more.  Find him a home with someone who understands and loves cats.

As a lifelong cat owner, that's my advice.  I'm team cat!

Trusted Contributor

I’ve had this cat for two ****** years. My daughter is 16, and only acknowledges him on occasion. If I go to show attention he darts under the kitchen table, so as not to be touched. I always give him treats. Can’t figure out how to deal with him. I wish I had a small dog instead. So less needy.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allthingsgirly67 - So rehome him!  You'd be doing the cat a kindness.  He clearly senses you don't like him and that's not going to change.

(Contact the animal shelter she adopted him from.  And don't allow her to adopt any more while she's under your roof.)

Honored Contributor

I agree with some of the other posters.....be kind to the kitty and find him/her a new home.  The cat surely senses that you dislike him and is, understandably, afraid of you.  By the way, the things you mention in your original post are typical of a cat's behavior.  Sounds like you're just not a cat person.

Honored Contributor

Magpie? Will you take the cat with you?

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67   Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Bring the cat back to the shelter DON"T list him on Craigs list or the like.

As you say TWO ******* Years IS a Long time in a cats life to put up with the animosity and apathy you AND your daughter offer this cat.

Please Don't get a little dog either If You Think They are LESS NEEDY than a cat.

Give that cat a chance to be happy.  Then You might be happier too.

Honored Contributor

@DSD2  😘. Thank you, so kind of you.