Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't make a decision - (RE: vacation)

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Okay, I have had many, many pets throughout my life (and still have a house full), and the only time I did NOT take a major vacation (a week or more) was when my senior cat was on three-times-a-day chemo treatments for serious cancer on her tongue (she could not eat and I had to bottle feed her as well).

However, three days---ABSOLUTELY!!

I try to do at least three or more long weekend trips per year as well as my week-long (or more) trips.  

I have had pets with many diverse medical conditions and in some cases they would travel with me, other times the vet could administer the treatments while we were gone.

Pets like routine and they will miss you-- but not that much for such a short time.

Since cats sleep a lot, just leave out the food and treats and they will be fine!

For the dogs, if you do not put them in the kennel, it is great to have a co-worker visit them.  My dogs are paper-trained and have stayed alone in my house for up to four days. I buy them great chew toys to enjoy so they do not gobble all their kibble all at once.

You need to value your opportunity to relax and refresh and renew your relationship with your husband, and understand that you deserve a long weekend getaway and you will do no harm to your fur-babies. In fact, you should return more happy and will have a great reunion!

(In terms of nutty drivers on the road, it makes no difference if you are going to the drugstore, out to dinner, on a daytrip, or on a weekend getaway, they will always be lurking.)

You just left out paper and food for your dogs for 4 days?  You had no one come in and check on them?  I find that bordering on neglect.  JMO

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

You just left out paper and food for your dogs for 4 days?  You had no one come in and check on them?  I find that bordering on neglect.  JMO

It's not really a good idea to leave cats at home either without someone checking.  Water bowls get knocked over, medical situations arise suddenly, even in younger cats.

Honored Contributor

DH is a bit more difficult than I am about boarding...but we both prefer a friend to keep our dog....she (our dog)  goes to her home.  I would never want someone staying in our house if we were not home, just not comfortable with that idea.

We did board her 2x at a facility, and probably won't do that again. DH says if our regular person cannot keep our dog over Thanksgiving, we are not going anywhere...that is yet to be decided.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Okay, I have had many, many pets throughout my life (and still have a house full), and the only time I did NOT take a major vacation (a week or more) was when my senior cat was on three-times-a-day chemo treatments for serious cancer on her tongue (she could not eat and I had to bottle feed her as well).

However, three days---ABSOLUTELY!!

I try to do at least three or more long weekend trips per year as well as my week-long (or more) trips.  

I have had pets with many diverse medical conditions and in some cases they would travel with me, other times the vet could administer the treatments while we were gone.

Pets like routine and they will miss you-- but not that much for such a short time.

Since cats sleep a lot, just leave out the food and treats and they will be fine!

For the dogs, if you do not put them in the kennel, it is great to have a co-worker visit them.  My dogs are paper-trained and have stayed alone in my house for up to four days. I buy them great chew toys to enjoy so they do not gobble all their kibble all at once.

You need to value your opportunity to relax and refresh and renew your relationship with your husband, and understand that you deserve a long weekend getaway and you will do no harm to your fur-babies. In fact, you should return more happy and will have a great reunion!

(In terms of nutty drivers on the road, it makes no difference if you are going to the drugstore, out to dinner, on a daytrip, or on a weekend getaway, they will always be lurking.)

Not bording on neglect, it is neglect.  So many things can go wrong

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

It's not really a good idea to leave cats at home either without someone checking.  Water bowls get knocked over, medical situations arise suddenly, even in younger cats.

Good points, @Sammycat1 .  Things happen.  I would never be able to forgive myself if someting happened.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs 

When our dogs have been to the kennel, DH pays for playtime outside 2x/day.  While we're gone, he calls the kennel to see how they are.  Most of the time we have a good report.  Our current dog, Connie, was there last year when we took a day trip & we were told she was a very good girl & made new doggie pals.

Connie's about 90 lbs. & a very "clingy" dog.  DH can't be anywhere inside or outside our home without her having a hissy fit.  

Most people don't want the responsibility of caring for her for that amount of time.

We're most likely going.  I pray we do come home to happy kitties.

Trusted Contributor

@Nicknack,

My little girls are 18 now.  One thing I haven't mentioned, is they both vomit every few weeks & I never know when or where that will be.  That's another issue for a sitter.  

They fool me at times with some spunkiness!  Fluffy can still jump from her cat tower.  Poor Ginger, she's been having difficulty jumping on the recliner & from there, she jumps to her cat tower.  But her blood work was fine.  

And yes, I love your Sweet Frankie & Handsome Henry.  You're so lucky to have each other.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your yays / nays & opinions.

If I can get reservations at the motel we prefer in our time frame, then our decision is to go.

DH & I both check in with the kennel & my co-worker to see how our kids are doing.  And, I always take fresh pictures of my girls before leaving.  I feel better doing that.

Respected Contributor

@ScenicMaine 

It sounds like you need to take time off to just stay at home and chill. If you are going to be worried about the kitties then I am not sure you will have a relaxing time. If traffic is bothering you at home it will on a trip as well.

What is the reason you think something may happen to the kitties? Are they is poor health?

I hope you are able to relax

doxie

Super Contributor

I take my dogs to pet-friendly hotels with me, and never let them in the room alone even to go to a restaurant ... no kennels for my babies, and I trust no one, not even my beloved neighbor with a dog.   I wouldn't want for her to have guilt if anything would happen to my elderly dogs.