Respected Contributor

Re: Can anyone reccomend a probiotic for dogs?

I got it at Amazon, twice now.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Thanks sooo much everyone!!
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin - Good advice here, but PLEASE don't give your pup anything without consulting your veterinarian. DH has seen dogs and cats brought in with problems because their owners tried something that worked for someone else's pet(s). Lots of times it doesn't. So please be careful!  

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Dazlin - Good advice here, but PLEASE don't give your pup anything without consulting your veterinarian. DH has seen dogs and cats brought in with problems because their owners tried something that worked for someone else's pet(s). Lots of times it doesn't. So please be careful!  

Excellent advice @beach-mom !

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-mom,  absolutely.   I already had Gabriel at the vet this week for pre-surgery check.  I posted a few weeks back that I got this pup from a rescue.  He had a broken hip,  now healed, but surgery may be needed, and neuter him.  Anyway, vet told me we will wait until his immune system is stronger.   So I had lengthy discussion with his tech, and I asked if can/should give him probiotics,  and she agreed.  She also suggested some they sell right there.  So, after much research,  I see probiotics are very helpful for building the immune system.   Thanks for your concern😊

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@beach-mom,  absolutely.   I already had Gabriel at the vet this week for pre-surgery check.  I posted a few weeks back that I got this pup from a rescue.  He had a broken hip,  now healed, but surgery may be needed, and neuter him.  Anyway, vet told me we will wait until his immune system is stronger.   So I had lengthy discussion with his tech, and I asked if can/should give him probiotics,  and she agreed.  She also suggested some they sell right there.  So, after much research,  I see probiotics are very helpful for building the immune system.   Thanks for your concern😊

@Dazlin - I'm so sorry. I missed your previous post! Gabriel is lucky and blessed to have a parent like you!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have used Forti-Flora from my vet when my dogs are taking prescription antibiotics, but for every day, I give yogurt and kefir on breakfast kibble.  I mix it in a bowl and warm it gently in the microwave, so it's nice and tasty.  I use blueberry kefir because blueberries have so many good phytocompounds that are beneficial as well. 

Valued Contributor

I always gave my greyhound full fat greek yogurt w/his dog food. It wasn't an instantaneous solution, but eventually helped. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DJP wrote:

@Dazlin

I use Purina Fortiflora. You can get it from your vet. I buy mine from chewy.com

I use the same.  Just pick it up when I need more, will have to check out the prices on Chewy.  During the summer I use it a couple times a week.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I would get my vet's opinion before I'd give my dog or cat anything like that.