Respected Contributor

Can anyone reccomend a probiotic for dogs?

Theres a wide variety out there...if anyone uses probiotics for your dog and feel they help, please let me know. I usually shop at petco. I find the staff soooo helpful, but there are quite a few. Also I'm seeing, prebiotics and probiotics...do they really need both?
Honored Contributor

Re: Can anyone reccomend a probiotic for dogs?

I googled and this is what I found about probiotic for those wondering what it is:

Probiotic

Probiotic
Probiotics are microorganisms that are claimed to provide health benefits when consumed. The term came into more common use after 1980. The introduction of the concept is generally attributed to Nobel laureate Élie Metchnikoff, who postulated that yogurt-consuming Bulgarian peasants lived longer lives because of this custom. He suggested in 1907 that "the dependence of the intestinal microbes on the food makes it possible to adopt measures to modify the flora in our bodies and to replace the harmful microbes by useful microbes". A significant expansion of the potential market for probiotics has led to higher requirements for scientific substantiation of putative benefits conferred by the microorganisms.

My friend has dogs that always live years beyone the average life span.  She does everything for her dogs.

I saw her recently and she said she takes her dog to get her teeth cleaned and the doggie spa once a month.  She said they perform acupressure on her dog and sometimes acpuncture, massages, etc.  If I had a dog I'd do that.  She lives near (but not in) Washington, DC where you can find someone who does everything.

Different but kinda similar...well...stretching...but interesting...I just watched a Saturday morning show locally called Dr. Katy (she's a Vet in Washington, DC).  She has guests and talks about dogs, cats, etc.

She had a pet psychic on today.  I have a friend who had one come to her house that used to READ for our police chief's animals (swear to you).

Anyway, Dr. Katy said the pet psychic told her where her dog had been (was a rescue) and details no one would have known about the dog unless they'd dug really deep into where it came from.  She (Dr Katy) said she knew because she was a Vet and had info most people aren't given.  She sounded like she believed in it.

Interesting huh?  I never rule out anything in life because I want to decide what is and isn't...not someone telling me what I should think and feel.

Hope I didn't cut in on your post.  If I did, please forgive me.  
Valued Contributor

@Dazlin

I use Purina Fortiflora. You can get it from your vet. I buy mine from chewy.com

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I had a dog psychic read my rescued boy many years ago.  Most of what she said could have just been talk and reasonable guesses.  But she talked something very specific that was accurate.  Being a skeptic, that really surprised me!

Respected Contributor

I've been using "omnutra pet essentials"  It has prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes.  Our Golden has been on it for over a month and her ears and paw are better than they were... we think it's from yeast.  I'm told ya gotta treat the GUT or they'll have skin problems.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

I've been using "omnutra pet essentials"  It has prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes.  Our Golden has been on it for over a month and her ears and paw are better than they were... we think it's from yeast.  I'm told ya gotta treat the GUT or they'll have skin problems.

@spent2much@  I looked it up  and looks interesting.   May I ask where you get it from?

Honored Contributor

I just texted my friend and she said she gives her dog a probiotic prescription that her Vet gives her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Vet recommends Proviable when my dogs have needed a probiotic.  I've ordered it from Drs. Foster and Smith, and my Vet sells it too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I just texted my friend and she said she gives her dog a probiotic prescription that her Vet gives her.

Yes, I imagine it is Forte Flora.  I use the cat version with good results.  Be aware that the good bacteria that you want to hang out in either a cat or dogs intestinal track is different from what a human needs. 

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

You can order any probiotic without an Rx.