Honored Contributor

A Note from Dog Food Advisor

[ Edited ]

I changed the heading because everyone is simply responding to the title and not reading the article, which discusses dogs' potential sensitivity to lactose and degrees thereof. It's not an absolute decree whether dairy products are OK or not OK.

It is a very good read. You'll be glad you took the two minutes.

A new message from Dog Food Advisor, the site that brings us news of recalled dog foods. This message is about the difference between lactose intolerance and allergy. A nice read:

Dear Fellow Dog Lover, 

Have you ever wondered if it was safe to feed your dog cheese, ice cream or other dairy foods?

Well, apparently, you're not alone.

Recently, I noticed a rather spirited debate going in our online forum.

It seems one of our members had been adding a spoonful of cottage cheese to her dog's kibble… to help coax her into eating all her food. 

But because her dog kept having gas and loose stools shortly after each meal... 

She was concerned

And she wanted to know if cottage cheese was good (or bad) for her dog.

Unfortunately…

There seems to be a lot of confusion about whether or not dairy products are safe for dogs.

If you're one of these people, I've created this special report just for you.

In that article…

I'll share the answer to 3 of the most urgent questions we get about feeding dairy products to dogs.

For example:

1. Are cheese and ice cream good... or bad... for your dog?

2. Why do some dogs experience digestive upset whenever they eat dairy products? While others have no problems at all?

3. Which dairy products are easiest for a dog to digest? And which ones are most likely to cause digestive upset?

Get the answers by clicking the following link: 

dogfoodadvisor DOT com/dog-feeding-tips/dogs-mild-dairy-products/"Can Dogs Eat Cheese and Ice Cream?"

Facts matter. Keep learning.
Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor
Saving Good Dogs From Bad Dog Food
[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Can Dogs Eat Cheese and Ice Cream?

I give my dog a little bit of plain whole Greek yogurt daily. My vet said it was fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I also received this article this morning.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet.  I give my dog whole plain yogurt, an egg and Daisy cottage cheese everyday.  (no carageenan sp?)  He also gets blueberries and tomatoes daily.  That is along with his raw food.  I wouldn't give my dog ice cream unless maybe it was during his last days and he needed the calories. Woman Sad

@GingerPeach 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kingston loves shredded cheese on his kibble and he loves cottage cheese, with no ill affect.

I do not give him ice cream, as that is notorious in the animal world for causing diarrhea in animals.

He also loves his veggies, mixed with his kibble, as well as shredded chicken , chicken liver, beef liver and scrambled eggs.

'Organ meats' are very good for dogs with a myriad of health benefits, just google it and choose your source.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Written Permission: A very furry birthday

Our dog gets frosty paws on special occasions, made for dogs. There in the freezer section of grocery stores. We give our dog greek yogurt. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dog gets a 1/2 tube a day of mozzarella cheese as an after meal treat.  She turns her head up at peanut butter.  Won't go near it.

Never gave her ice cream but the Mr Softie truck driver always gives her a cup of vanilla custard ice cream.  She turns her nose up at that too.  Turns into MY treat.

Her favorite treat......

proxy-image.png

She also snacks on bugs as long as they are moving (alive). Smiley Surprised She ignors the dead ones. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I read the title and am answering without reading the discussion, which I very seldom do. I know the answer DH has told owners for years.

A little bit of each won't hurt, but NO chocolate ice cream or any ice cream with anything chocolate in it. And a little bit once in a while- not a daily thing!  Smiley Happy