Super Contributor

Calling dog owners in Phoenix area

Its going to be 112+ this week.  I have fake grass in the backyard.  My dog's paws are already burning.  She wont wear shoes and I cant carry her to her "preferred" spot.  She wont stand up in her boots anyway.  HOA declined my request for a small shade sail but I am willing to do it anyway since it would be short term.  I cant find anyone to install who takes credit cards.  With the pandemic, my daughter and grandchild moved in with me since they have no income.  I tried puppy pads, both inside and out, but she barked at them.  I tried a small piece of fake grass which I carry to the edge of the patio.  Not working.

Please, if you know this heat, help me find a way for her.  She needs to go out every 3-4 hours, even at night.

Honored Contributor

Re: Calling dog owners in Phoenix area

Can you hose down that special place with cool water before heading over there with the dog?

Honored Contributor

Can you buy a large patio umbrella and install it in the ground or use a stand?  You could do this yourself. You can easily take it down for the HOA when you need to and put it up when it's too hot for your dog.

Super Contributor

I tried hosing it down.  Even tried running a sprinkler before she goes out.  She doesnt like to walk on anything wet but she may have to learn.  The umbrella might work, would rather do a shade sail, but she has to walk over 3/4 of the yard to get to her spot.  I am also concerned about the monsoon winds blowing it away when they start.

I feel like I am shooting every suggestion down.  I dont mean to, but I have been working on this for weeks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lilypadfrog   How old is your dog?

Water down your fake lawn

Line up your dog's fav treats all the way up her "spot" but NOT on her spot

If she does her business, reward w/a treat.

Do the above w/pee pads.  Never heard of a dog parking at pee pads.  Must have an ordor she does not care for.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog    I can appreciate your situation.  It's hot here too but not that hot.  Could your throw an old blanket, bedspread or sheet over your pup's favored area?  This winter you'd better plant a small tree or bush that could offer a bit of shade.  How about something like a card table over her "spot" ?  Hose the area down with cool water before she goes out.  A cheap carpet runner?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I am also in the Phoenix area have smaller dogs that I can carry but I don't. I had my dogs with me living in Vegas and now in Phoenix so I know your concerns with heat. You did not mention if you live in a condo or house but this what I do. I am in a house with small backyard. I have fake grass that I bought from amazon, that mimicks real grass, my dogs will go and do pee and poop on it. My house has small patio but there are times in the day the grass is shaded. My dogs will go at any time of the day on the grass even when sun is drectly hitting the grass. 

Do you have an area to place a piece of grass outside your home like a backyard? It could be the type of grass. The grass that looks more for golfing does get real hot. The fake grass I got seems more plush and doesn't get too hot for them and they use it all the time.

Super Contributor

I live in a house with the fake grass covering my entire backyard.  There used to be a large tree, which shaded my entire yard, but those owners (city) chose to trim it to the point of butchering it.

I could get another piece of "grass" to throw out when she goes.  I will try that.  Maybe get a roll to unroll so she can walk twenty feet to her spot.  I will do anything for her.  

Super Contributor

My backyard is going to be a forest as soon as it's safe to plant any.  

My dog is 2 years old today.  I am going to get a roll of fake grass, some puppy pads and try my best.  If I put the pad under the fake grass, maybe she wont bark.  20200407_072845.jpg

Trusted Contributor

When training dogs to use the pee pee pads, I put some of their pee and poo on them until they get the idea.