Honored Contributor

Re: CRUELTY FREE PRODUCTS

[ Edited ]

@sandraskates wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

I think that Tatcha is also cruelty free, but I should recheck that first.   

Isn't it interesting that hosts that promote themselves as animal advocates push products that toture dogs and rabbits?

QVC needs to tell us what peoducts are cruelty free and which ones are made in the US.

Yes, Tatcha is.

What bothers me more than the hosts pushing the products are supposed celebrity animal lover/advocates, like Ellen Degeneres and Drew Barrymore. Both were (still are?) Cover Girl "faces" and Cover Girl has never been cruelty free. Sad that the almighty buck matters more than an

Hi HappyDaze,

Drew Barrymore has own company now called Flower Beauty. It's available at Wal-Mart. Her website says that the cosmetics are made in the USA and are never tested on animals.

In this day and age I don't see why any cosmetic ingredient has to be tested on animals. I too search out the cruety free items but sometimes you really have to dig for info and I know there are times i've been unsuccessful.

Yep I know she has the FLower line now, I've tried a few of the products in the past. Smiley Happy But prior to that, she was the face of Cover Girl.

And I agree, sometimes you really have to dig. With all the awarenes of animal cruelty and the fact that we really do not need to test on animals these days with the technology we have and the fact that many animals do not have the same or similar metabolic functioning and biological pathways we have. So just because it shows "safe" on animals does NOT mean that it will be "safe" for us, hence the reason people still have reactions to products! 

Here is an example. There are some human medications that we can safely give to animals, some we cannot. We canot give animals ibuprofen, for example, but we can give them oemprazole (antacid).  While many human medications we can give them we dose out  based on the human dosage on the packaging, there are some that we use ALOT more than the human dosaging because animals metabolize the product differently then we do. For example, we give oemprazole (antiacid product) as the same human dosage but for certain allergy medications, like cetirizine (generic for Zyrtec), we have to triple or quadruple the does for the dog!

Anyway, it just makes no sense in this day and age to torture animals for silly beauty products.

Occasional Contributor

I'm with you 1000%.!!!  No more Tarte for me either.. I know they were bought out I think by Shiseido..  When I see what animals have to suffer not only for the beauty industry but all industries (entertainment, food, pharma) it makes me want to run away!.. I encourage everyone out there, if you are on the fence, watch some of the undercover videos on You Tube or go to MercyforAnimals.com and check out how a lot of sweet creatures have to go thru... you will never be the same!

Occasional Contributor

I wanted to give you an update about Tarte Cosmetics.  I contacted them to confirm that they belong to a bigger corporation today.  I also asked them if this company is cruelty free.  They gave me the runaround.  Saying that Tarte is committed to stay cruelty free but never denied or confirmed if the KOSE (mother company) is cruelty free for which I conclude they are not...  It is sad that Maureen doesn't seem to be bothered by this and that she is now part of an organization that doesn't respect the lives of animals.  That's is for me with Tarte!

Honored Contributor

@FiftyShadesofLove wrote:

I wanted to give you an update about Tarte Cosmetics.  I contacted them to confirm that they belong to a bigger corporation today.  I also asked them if this company is cruelty free.  They gave me the runaround.  Saying that Tarte is committed to stay cruelty free but never denied or confirmed if the KOSE (mother company) is cruelty free for which I conclude they are not...  It is sad that Maureen doesn't seem to be bothered by this and that she is now part of an organization that doesn't respect the lives of animals.  That's is for me with Tarte!

It is unfortunate when companies are not honest and upfront. When contacting companies, I often get the ruanaround- 3 paragraphs of patting themselves on the back for "talking" to other countries about animal testing yadda yadda and then the final fourth paragraph- finally- about how they don't test except where required by law. The point is, they have a CHOICE whether or not to sell to those countried that "require it by law" but the $$ speaks louder than the ethical issue.

No country will abolish the practice if companie still continue to sell to them- why would they? Just like QVC won't offer us coupon codes when they are making bank without offering them. Until we speak more with our $$$ and than simply our words, nothing will change.

Honored Contributor

I use (and love) WEN products.  It makes me so happy that Chaz cares enough about animals to assure the products he makes are cruelty free -  both horizontally and vertically.

They are Leaping Bunny Certified.

I am glad this product is available on the Q.

The issue of Animal cruelty is a subject near and dear to my heart.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

beastielove wrote:

I strongly suggest that any of you who want to know which companies are truly cruelty free and and which one's aren't or are owned by parent companies that DO torture and kill animals in the name of beauty...that you go to my beauty bunny dot com.

You can also get information regarding cruelty free househould cleaning products (they DO exist!).

While you're there, sign up for their newsletters (I did this several years ago) and you'll receive reviews of all of the latest CRUELTY FREE beauty products. There's a ton of them on the market! The latest newsletter also included recipes for DIY hairmaks using fruits,veggies,honey,eggs and oils. :-)

In regards to Tarte...even though those products are cruelty free...the  Japanese company that Maureen Kelly sold Tarte to, KOSE, is pro animal testing.When I found that out I stopped buying Tarte because I knew that the profits would be going into KOSE's coffers.

Hope this information helped. :-)

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

I'm forwarding my post from last week for those who have posted since and may not have seen it. Once again I want to highly recommend that you go to the my beauty bunny dot com site.

There's a wealth of information there regarding which companies are cruelty free, which aren't and which companies (like Tarte) who make cruelty free products are owned by a parent company that does test on animals.

For many years I was buying the St Ives products...then I found out that UNILEVER (which does test on animals) bought them so I kicked that brand to the curb ASAP. FYI...Cover Girl cosmestics are owned by UNILEVER.

Honored Contributor

Re: CRUELTY FREE PRODUCTS

[ Edited ]

@beastielove wrote:

I'm forwarding my post from last week for those who have posted since and may not have seen it. Once again I want to highly recommend that you go to the my beauty bunny dot com site.

There's a wealth of information there regarding which companies are cruelty free, which aren't and which companies (like Tarte) who make cruelty free products are owned by a parent company that does test on animals.

For many years I was buying the St Ives products...then I found out that UNILEVER (which does test on animals) bought them so I kicked that brand to the curb ASAP. FYI...Cover Girl cosmestics are owned by UNILEVER.

Cover girl is actually owned by Proctor and Gamble (which also tests) but is being sold to Coty, which also tests.

Ive been buying cruelty free and "natural" household cleansers for a few years now. There are many choices out there, including some at your local Costco.

Trusted Contributor

The Beagle Freedom Project also has an app you can purchase for a very minimal fee (I think I paid $2.99 for it) and you can use it when you are in a store to see if it does indeed test on animals.  They are dedicated to stopping testing on animals and they utilize all of the good ways to lobby for this to end.  Unlike PETA, who resort to bad ideas, they are trying to stop it and remain ethical and legal.  The app works pretty well.  I also know that HSN's Serious Skin Care is a leaping bunny approved company.  Household products that are cruelty free and very good products at cleaning are Seventh Generation items.  The cleaning products work just as well as the top brands do. 

Jason is a good brand that is cruelty free.  Finding makeup that is cruelty free is a bit harder because its subjective since everyone likes the way a certain product lies on their skin, colors, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@FlowershopGirl wrote:

The Beagle Freedom Project also has an app you can purchase for a very minimal fee (I think I paid $2.99 for it) and you can use it when you are in a store to see if it does indeed test on animals.  They are dedicated to stopping testing on animals and they utilize all of the good ways to lobby for this to end.  Unlike PETA, who resort to bad ideas, they are trying to stop it and remain ethical and legal.  The app works pretty well.  I also know that HSN's Serious Skin Care is a leaping bunny approved company.  Household products that are cruelty free and very good products at cleaning are Seventh Generation items.  The cleaning products work just as well as the top brands do. 

Jason is a good brand that is cruelty free.  Finding makeup that is cruelty free is a bit harder because its subjective since everyone likes the way a certain product lies on their skin, colors, etc. 

Can you tell me if an app like this lets you know when a company is owned by a parent company that tests? For example, if it doesn't, then it would say that Tarte was cruelty free but for those of us who truly want to go cruelty free, this isn't the whole truth. I've been hesitant about relying on apps and websites like this since many do not mention the parent company's status, only what the particular brand claims. TIA!

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@FlowershopGirl wrote:

Can you tell me if an app like this lets you know when a company is owned by a parent company that tests? For example, if it doesn't, then it would say that Tarte was cruelty free but for those of us who truly want to go cruelty free, this isn't the whole truth. I've been hesitant about relying on apps and websites like this since many do not mention the parent company's status, only what the particular brand claims. TIA!

Yes, from when I have used it, it does and it accesses both PETA and Leaping Bunny as well as many other sites for up-to-date info on every product, not just what the brand claims.  Here is some info from their site:

CRUELTY-CUTTER is cruelty-free shopping made simple! Cast-away any doubts when purchasing items by using this app to scan an item and have an immediate response about it’s animal-testing status. Cruelty-Cutter has every company in the "Leaping Bunny" and PETA lists and thousands more. It is the most up-to-date and vigilant cruelty-free list on the market.

Cruelty-Cutter is your activist app! Share your results with friends on social media and also share your concern or praise with the company itself. Companies that still choose to test on animals will get the message that Cruelty-Cutter users are against what they are doing! The more shares, the more “Doggie Dollars” you earn towards coupons for cruelty-free items!

Cruelty-Cutter lets you register your concern and help collect data to bring to companies that test on animals to show them that the public is not interested in supporting companies that continue to use animals when it is not needed.

You can download the app from their site at cruelty-cutter.org.