Esteemed Contributor

Has anybody seen the 'I Want That' video on facebook re a coyote vest?  The vest is made of kevlar, with little spikes, then you purchase "feathers" d/n remember what they're called but they're support to bother the face/eyes of the would be attacker.

Kinda cute, I think.  Kinda expensive right now - assume 'cause new, limited production product - adds up to $150.  But, well worth it in many areas where hawks and coyotes attack.

Honored Contributor

Just last week ,a man was taking his little dog out before it got dark ,he has a few steps to go down ,in just a few seconds a coyote ran into the yard grabed the dog that was on one of the steps. 

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Just last week ,a man was taking his little dog out before it got dark ,he has a few steps to go down ,in just a few seconds a coyote ran into the yard grabed the dog that was on one of the steps. 

Did you see the video, @goldensrbest? I have no idea how to post it from my fb - sorry. I think they're kinda cute.  The ACO is one of my fb friends and he posted it to the town site.  Everyone seems interested 'cause we've encroached on their lands and they are no longer extinct - therefore it's becoming a major problem. 

Regarding your neighbor, hope his dog is all right.  Also was thinking perhaps cats could wear these, too.  Hawks tend to scoop down are get them - another danger.

Honored Contributor

Its a lot more practical and cheaper too to keep cats inside where they belong and small dogs on a leash when outside.  A coyote is usually a skinny, scrawny animal that can't carry a heavy load so most smaller dogs are safe but if you've got a chi or Yorkie, it pays to be alert and conscious of what's going on around you,  They have been know to lure even unleashed big dogs away from owners ostensibly to play.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have posted about the coyote vests on this forum several times and I got railroaded out of town for mentioning them more than once.

They were invented by someone who had their small dog snatched right from them while it was still on the the leash in their hands. But posters keep commenting that people should keep an eye on their dogs and not let them roam.

They don’t get it and I am done trying to explain it.

Good liuck with your posting.

Respected Contributor

Our coon hound tried to kill one of our doxies. Grabbed him by the neck and I purchased a spiked collar from coyote vest. He also has a wide studded collar with studs not spikes. Coyotes can and do grab and take away small dogs. People have options and I choose to protect my doxie. He wears his protective collar at home and my vet is totally fine with it. The hound attacked the morning after her spay procedure and had never done anything like that before. She sniffed the spikes and avoids the doxie. I would vest a dog if I thought it would protect it. In my case, coyote vest had just the product I needecd and their service was great. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

Here is one that showed up on my FB

original.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have posted about the coyote vests on this forum several times and I got railroaded out of town for mentioning them more than once.

They were invented by someone who had their small dog snatched right from them while it was still on the the leash in their hands. But posters keep commenting that people should keep an eye on their dogs and not let them roam.

Sorry, @Carmie, didn't realize you've posted about this before.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Sorry, @Carmie, didn't realize you've posted about this before.

Oh, I don’t mind at all.  I think the vests are a great idea and a good choice if you have a small pet and live in an area where coyotes are aggressive.  We should do whatever we can to protect our companions.

Most of the posters were not receptive to the suggestion when I posted it. I hope you have better luck.  It’s an important issue.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Did you see the video, @goldensrbest? I have no idea how to post it from my fb - sorry. I think they're kinda cute.  The ACO is one of my fb friends and he posted it to the town site.  Everyone seems interested 'cause we've encroached on their lands and they are no longer extinct - therefore it's becoming a major problem. 

Regarding your neighbor, hope his dog is all right.  Also was thinking perhaps cats could wear these, too.  Hawks tend to scoop down are get them - another danger.

It was not my neighbor, my hair dresser was telling me about it last week,and no it killed the dog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.