Honored Contributor

Re: COVID and vet appointments

@Kachina624  I hope your dog is okay now.  That is too bad but your dog is  not familiar with the vet people and they are looking for mom.  Take care.  I'll be honest with you, I do not like when you have a normal appt. and they take your pet in another room to give shots.  They should do that in front of you.  You are putting your trust in the vet that they are administering the shots.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@cindyNC wrote:

We had the crazy husky at the emergency vet about a month ago when he was bleeding from his mouth. 

It was curbside and we spoke to the vet via cell phone from our numbered parking space. 

Honestly, he's such a handful at the vet we were kind of snickering when we handed him over to the gloved, gowned and masked vet attendent. 

The BF had taken him out of the fenced yard and tied him to our shed while he was working in the shed. The dog was digging after a critter and either punctured his tongue on his own teeth, a nail, or was bit in the tongue by the creature he was after. 

The bill was about $250 and included anesthesia since he wouldn't let them examine him without it. 

The only irritating thing is that we never got an itemized bill for the services. Front desk staff was having a difficult time with all of this virtual stuff. 

@cindyNC   I'm sorry that happened to your dog.  I would call the Vet's office and ask them to read the itemized statement to you over the phone.  If they have it on their computer now, ask them to email it to you.  I would want to see it.

I would NOT call and question that bill!  I can only assume it is an error! !  I paid more than that at our last visit for an exam, fecal test and blood work.  I would pay the $250 and walk away quietly.

@Abrowneyegirl   I in no way meant for her to question the bill.  I assume it is correct.  I would just want to see the itemization.  I always like to know everything like that.  I would think the standing procedure would have been for them to email it to her when they had it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were told the office staff was having computer issues......they actually let us drive away without paying and indicated we would be contacted later for payment. 

We were emailed a bill, it was just not itemized. I really did want to see an itemized bill as we have issues keeping weight on the dog. But I thought it was rather low for services rendered. 

He was very sleepy when returned to the car.  I told the tech that was good and maybe I could get some grooming in  - she rolled her eyes at me and said "good luck with that". He really is a handful. 

I hope everyone else who has experienced the covid vet appointments experiences good results for their pets.  It's a tough situation on all of us. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack   I would be afraid if someone went back to itemize the bill for me that they would realize that forgot to charge me for something.  For what you describe I would expect a $500 bill.  It seems like someone forgot to bill you for a few things.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@NickNack   I would be afraid if someone went back to itemize the bill for me that they would realize that forgot to charge me for something.  For what you describe I would expect a $500 bill.  It seems like someone forgot to bill you for a few things.

@Abrowneyegirl   I don't think you meant to address that to me.  I looked back through my posts and didn't describe anything in particular.  The last Vet bills I had were from March thru the end of April.  My dog had an MRI and an overnight stay at the ER and also at the Vet School among other things.  I spent almost $6,000 on her, but I had pet insurance that covered 90% of that excluding the exam fee.

I would suggest calling the Vet today and see when you can go in. You can go in my Vet as of today if you wear a mask.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Unless my dog was in an emergency situation, I am not handing him over to anyone.  The thought of talking to the vet AFTER he sees your dog is very scary to me.  I don't want my dog given anything I don't approve of first.  

As far as shots, believe me when I say that they can go past the due dates.    Like years past.  The postcards sent out saying that as reminders of services needed......don't get me started.  

For the OP, find another vet or wait until you can go in.  It can't be that much longer until that will be available again.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  That happened to a room mate of mine decades ago.  The vets office had just switched over to a new coding system.  her dog had been vomiting so she took it in.  after talking it over she decided to do x-rays and some fluids under the skin and some anti nausea medication.  when she got home she looked over the invoice and found they had charged her for an ear cleaning.  Well, she got right on the phone to that Vets pointing out that she had not wanted an ear cleaning so why was she charged for one?  They agreed. They had coded in an ear cleaning instead of the x-rays which she HAD authorized.  They sent her a bill with the revized invoice.  The kicker was the receptionist told her that they probably would Never have caught that but since she brought it to light they had to act on it.  Teddy recovered fine by the way.

Honored Contributor

Both of our dogs had their yearly vet checks within the last 3 weeks, and the routine was the same as it's always been. We go inside, confirm the purpose of the visit, the tech takes the dog into the back, and brings him out when the exam is over. We wait while the vet documents everything, then he comes out and tells us his findings, we pay for the visit and supplies, and leave.
Respected Contributor

I have an appointment with my vet for next Monday. They're asking people to call from their cell phones to check in when they arrive, but they're permitting the owners to bring the animals in and stay with them for the exam. We have to wear masks, but everything else is the same. That's a relief. This cat is a wild woman who likes to do manic laps around the exam room and upend the trash can while we wait for the vet, just because she's so excited. It's always an adventure.

Respected Contributor

@noodleannTo prevent her from taking Manic laps and upending trash cans while waiting for the vet to arrive, Keep her in her carrier  Until the Vet is in the room.  That way she is NOT excited by all the foreign sights and smells of strange unseen animals until there is someone there who can keep hold of her and not have to hunt her down to examine her.  Chasing her is NOT CALMING and you can help prevent that.