Honored Contributor

Re: COVID and vet appointments

@Katcat1    This curb-side service arrangement seems to be the way vets are now operating everywhere.  There's no option to see a vet in person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  I hate not being with mine also. I took the Jack Russells in separately for shots and check ups. They were very careful getting them from the car. I had called earlier with any information and concerns. I also handed the tech a detailed note for the vet especially for my 17 year old and how to handle him. 
 I was impressed with the care they took and when I arrived home had e mails with details from the Dr. 

I wiped the dogs with wet ones when I got home.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I guess I will be waiting.  My cat would probably be traumatized if someone took her away.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

We had the crazy husky at the emergency vet about a month ago when he was bleeding from his mouth. 

It was curbside and we spoke to the vet via cell phone from our numbered parking space. 

Honestly, he's such a handful at the vet we were kind of snickering when we handed him over to the gloved, gowned and masked vet attendent. 

The BF had taken him out of the fenced yard and tied him to our shed while he was working in the shed. The dog was digging after a critter and either punctured his tongue on his own teeth, a nail, or was bit in the tongue by the creature he was after. 

The bill was about $250 and included anesthesia since he wouldn't let them examine him without it. 

The only irritating thing is that we never got an itemized bill for the services. Front desk staff was having a difficult time with all of this virtual stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

We had the crazy husky at the emergency vet about a month ago when he was bleeding from his mouth. 

It was curbside and we spoke to the vet via cell phone from our numbered parking space. 

Honestly, he's such a handful at the vet we were kind of snickering when we handed him over to the gloved, gowned and masked vet attendent. 

The BF had taken him out of the fenced yard and tied him to our shed while he was working in the shed. The dog was digging after a critter and either punctured his tongue on his own teeth, a nail, or was bit in the tongue by the creature he was after. 

The bill was about $250 and included anesthesia since he wouldn't let them examine him without it. 

The only irritating thing is that we never got an itemized bill for the services. Front desk staff was having a difficult time with all of this virtual stuff. 

@cindyNC   I'm sorry that happened to your dog.  I would call the Vet's office and ask them to read the itemized statement to you over the phone.  If they have it on their computer now, ask them to email it to you.  I would want to see it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1    One of my dogs was hyperventilating when he got back to the car.  He doesn't do well with strangers.  It'll be a cold day you-know-where before I do that again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@cindyNC wrote:

@cindyNC   I'm sorry that happened to your dog.  I would call the Vet's office and ask them to read the itemized statement to you over the phone.  If they have it on their computer now, ask them to email it to you.  I would want to see it.

I would NOT call and question that bill!  I can only assume it is an error! !  I paid more than that at our last visit for an exam, fecal test and blood work.  I would pay the $250 and walk away quietly.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  If your pets are okay go ahead and cancel the appt.  Tell them you are not comfortable with their current rules.  I would want to be with my pet so it feels safe and you are able to discuss whatever you want.

I did cancel, I will have to wait about 30-40 days until we are in the green phase.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Katcat1    One of my dogs was hyperventilating when he got back to the car.  He doesn't do well with strangers.  It'll be a cold day you-know-where before I do that again.

I completely understand.  I can not stand to see my girls upset, let alone be the cause of their distress.  My one girl gets so upset at the vet she shakes and trembles so badly which is odd because she is such an easy-going dog.  

Trusted Contributor

I have been in your situation and totally understand your concerns. In my circumstance, I had seen the vet one time prior to Covid19. During the period of time while the clinic was not allowing people into the clinic, my dog got very sick. I had to sit in car while he was taken into the clinic. The vet called me to let me know when he had finished seeming my dog. I felt like I was talking to a total stranger. Did not like the situation at all, but, didn't have much choice. That trip cost me $325.00. Then, this week I had to take same dog in for shots and bloodwork. Luckily, the clinic had reopened and I got to go inside and actually talk face to face with the vet. That trip cost me $550.00.  Vet care has just gotten to be way over the top. It is no wonder that so many poor animals are abandoned - their owners cannot afford the outrageous cost of vet care.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.