Respected Contributor

Before COVID our vet left the practice after it became a franchise so I found a new practice.

Our first appointment was canceled due to the COVID shutdown.

Now the offices are open but the pet parent must wait in their car, they come out and pick up the pet from the curb.

I am VERY uncomfortable with turning over my girls to complete strangers.

Secondly, I asked how do I talk to the vet regarding the treatment plan, evaluation, etc.   I was told I can not speak directly to the Dr.  just the techs.  ??

This is not a social call.  I pay $90 if the vet touches my dog + additional tests, labs, etc we are always $175+ per dog per visit.

I do not think it is unreasonable to expect time to discuss my concerns and hear the Dr's evaluation directly so I can ask appropriate questions and understand what my pet's needs are. 

So frustrated.

Honored Contributor

Re: COVID and vet appointments

@Abrowneyegirl  If your pets are okay go ahead and cancel the appt.  Tell them you are not comfortable with their current rules.  I would want to be with my pet so it feels safe and you are able to discuss whatever you want.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

In our area vet's offices are operating the same way, but you do talk to the vet by phone to discuss diagnosis, treatment plan, etc.

Not sure why your office only allows you to talk to the techs?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I took my kitty in yesterday for his annual visit. My vet gets on the phone after the exam and goes over everything, weight, teeth, temperature etc.. I was allowed to ask questions if needed etc. I don't like handing them over but I understand. 

Esteemed Contributor

You are right to be concerned, they are your babies.  Look around for a different vet.

Yes, for everyone's protection, you will not able go in.

However you should be able to video in to the entire exam.  Then you chat with the vet as it unfolds and see what seems to be a concern.  Just like always they are taken back for labs and all.

Honored Contributor

Can't speak to the vet?

That would be the deal breaker for me.

Especially at those prices.

My vet is taking one pet at a time, 1 person can go into the exam room.

He has limited hours, I assume to try to keep the facility clean.

Everyone else waits outside.   Not sure how that's going to fly when its 90 degrees

I understand some other vets in the area are not letting owners in the exam room.

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Before COVID our vet left the practice after it became a franchise so I found a new practice.

Our first appointment was canceled due to the COVID shutdown.

Now the offices are open but the pet parent must wait in their car, they come out and pick up the pet from the curb.

I am VERY uncomfortable with turning over my girls to complete strangers.

Secondly, I asked how do I talk to the vet regarding the treatment plan, evaluation, etc.   I was told I can not speak directly to the Dr.  just the techs.  ??

This is not a social call.  I pay $90 if the vet touches my dog + additional tests, labs, etc we are always $175+ per dog per visit.

I do not think it is unreasonable to expect time to discuss my concerns and hear the Dr's evaluation directly so I can ask appropriate questions and understand what my pet's needs are. 

So frustrated.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   I have a lot of experience with this as my dog was very sick when these rules began.  I handed my dog over to the Tech, but before she was brought back to me the Vet called me and talked with me extensively.  We spent at least twenty minutes on the phone after each appointment.  I don't think it's right to not be able to talk with the Vet.

Our Vet's office is lifting this restriction tomorrow.  Owners can come in and go back to the exam room if they're wearing a mask.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I agree about not being able to talk to the vet.   I have a dog that was due for a checkup in May.  I called the office and they were doing the same as others have stated, coming to the car and getting you dog and then talking to vet on the phone.  My dog is a rescue and is very nervous when I am not with her.  

I decided to wait to schedule when I can go in the office with her.   My area is to be opening up more this Friday.   So I will call next week and see about scheduling.  

Super Contributor

My vet is curbside too now. I was told they were following CDC guidelines. I do not think opening up will effect this practice. Dentists are also limited to CDC guidelines. I am not a fan of curbside because I have rescues but they have to follow the CDC.

Honored Contributor

My dogs had their shots and annual exams last month using this curbside service, which I don't like.  However, after she (the vet) examined both dogs she called me on my cell and discussed their condition.  I paid $300. For just a few minutes and felt more than a little ripped-off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment