Honored Contributor

Re: COULD USE HELP WITH TEASPOON 🥺

@Dazlin   If she's peeing huge amounts like you say, it sounds like it's kidney related.  I would definitely have your Vet check for a bladder infection and check her kidney levels.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin   My vet recommended that I sprinkle some of this on my dog's prescription food because she seemed to no longer like the taste of her food.  My dog has kidney issues and when I was growing up, my parents fed our older dachshund a mixture of dog food and 50% cooked white rice with her food.  She seemed to like it.  So that may be an option too.

You can purchase FortFlora from any pet store, it's about $30 for a pack of 30 and with a small dog, one packet will be good for several meals.  It's a powder that you just sprinkle over the top of the food.  Good luck, I also have two senior dogs and want them to live forever, but know that their quality of life will determine what my decision ultimately will be in the future.

Be sure to check with your vet first, but I use it when my lab isn't interested in her food and it usually works for me.

Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements FortiFlora Dog Supplement

5271677.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

When one of my older Silkys was not eating I found that a can of tuna did the trick every time. He loved his tuna fish! Good luck and God bless you for taking such good care of your bestie.

Respected Contributor

Today she ate better,  I guess there will be good days, but im definitely going to switch things up a bit ...many of whats been suggested here.  Teaspoon gets bloodwork every 3 months because shes on heart meds and a diuretic.   Her creatine, kidney's is slightly high due to the lasix, thats why we monitor.  Last bloodwork she has remained stable, so vet said continue doing everything im doing as far as her diet.  I also give her Dr.Harveys kidney supplements, all natural,  just helps rid toxins.  Again, really great suggestions here, and I feel happier there are good choices for her diet,  thank you all so much🙂

Respected Contributor

I picked up some unsalted cottage cheese today, will start with that.  She likes eggs so ill mix a little in.  Been topping off her dog food with egg and she's been going back to eat the dog food later on....first she eats the egg.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband was cooking an assortment of meat for our dog and he was not eating it. Believe me I think we tried every brand of dog food.

What we found that our dog liked - minced meat in gravy. It was kind of soupy but the dog licked it up. Guess he got tired of chewing. Also, we found his food bowl was too deep. So I replaced it with a pasta bowl. It was shallow and not as much work for him to dig the food out.

Good Luck. We also bought a Hoover Spot Cleaner. He didn't have an accident very often. But it sure came in handy when he did.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  Is this your first  experience  with an older dog during the final phase of life?

I have been through this process many many times now over all the petsI have owned.  

Really all you  can do now is do what you are doing.... you are a wonderful Mom!❤️

and when the time time comes when  Teaspoon is ready to go to the rainbow bridge....

she will let you know.  It is never easy first time or the 8th time. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden , not my first time.  My larger dogs never had a problem eating even until the end, they got sick and went pretty quick.  Ive never had a dog live to beTeaspoons age, 16, so she's showing alot of age related down hills.   Shes pretty active yet and still very aware of everything,  so to me, I think she's got time on her side yet, unless something gives out.  She does have congestive heart,  but the meds have blossomed her.

I'm trying to keep her well fed as best as I can and what she'll tolerate...the house accidents i can tolerate, but if i get her out often, she does ok.   Oh well.