Honored Contributor

Re: COST OF BOARDING 2 DOGS $$$!!!$$$!!!!

I don't like someone coming into my home and so we've placed our dogs in doggy day care with overnight boarding when going on vacation.

I also don't like putting my dog in a kennel since it always felt like doggy prison to me.  Theday care gave her lots of opportunity to play and enjoy. However I worried about her the last time we went away since she's getting older.  She was fine but I was afraid that it would be too stressful.

This summer when we go away I plan on asking our vet.  He does boarding on his property which is a farm where he happens to live.  I'm hoping that this will be a good solution since our dog now mostly sleeps all day.

I have no idea what he charges yet but I think he'll be less than the day care which from what I remember was about $50.00 per day.

Honored Contributor

That amount sounds about right to me for boarding dogs.

I have 2 dogs and several birds and I would never leave them to go out of town.  It is the choice I have made for myself. Last trip I took was in 1987 when I had no pets.   It is just too stressful for the dogs leaving them in a strange place.  I could not enjoy myself knowing how sad they would be.... 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Shanusi live near Seattle.Hope you enjoy your birthday visit.It can be rainy in WASHIngton so pack your raincoat.

@dex  Even in July? DD said June, July & August were “best” weather months. Oh well, raincoat it is.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, I feel your pain, which is why we rarely go anywhere overnight.  I wish our vet did boarding, but he does not.  We use Petsmart's Pet Hotel and have been happy overall with the care they've given our two dogs.  It's not perfect, but I like it that they require proof of vaccines and also do a manual flea comb of each pet before they're allowed to play or stay.  They will use our vet if needed, but if it is after hours, they use one of their vets, so I like it that the dogs have access to vet care 24/7.  It runs us about $100 a night for both dogs.

Valued Contributor

Our local kennel charges (depending on size) $22 to $24 dollars a day for dogs and I think about $7 a day extra to give meds.  The place is spotless, close to home and the dogs are walked three times daily.  My dog is actually excited to go there-although he does shoot us a look when we drop him off!  The expense adds up but I can see we are lucky to have a fairly reasonable boarding option.  Vaccinations are required which is a good thing for your dog's safety.  My husband would never leave the house with a stranger inside it so a dog sitter is not an option!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@dex wrote:

@Shanusi live near Seattle.Hope you enjoy your birthday visit.It can be rainy in WASHIngton so pack your raincoat.

@dex  Even in July? DD said June, July & August were “best” weather months. Oh well, raincoat it is.

@Shanus    It looks to be a dryer than normal Summer for us.  We are cool right now...  actually perfect in the upper 60's!  ..... but it will heat up and be a BEATIFUL Summer here for you. Do not worry about rain too much. If we have any in the summer it will be quick and over. ENJOY YOUR TRIP Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@dex wrote:

@Shanus    It looks to be a dryer than normal Summer for us.  We are cool right now...  actually perfect in the upper 60's!  ..... but it will heat up and be a BEATIFUL Summer here for you. Do not worry about rain too much. If we have any in the summer it will be quick and over. ENJOY YOUR TRIP Smiley Happy

Thanks @SeaMaiden.  DD said no humidity...so won’t feel stifling hot like NC summers.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    we rarely have any humidity with the heat... maybe an odd day or two with higher humidity  but very rare.  I think you are going to love it here.... I want to welcome you and wish you happy travels!!!!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow for 4 days, 2 dogs in the same run and it's $450. For that price they should come water your plants and pick up your mail! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus    we rarely have any humidity with the heat... maybe an odd day or two with higher humidity  but very rare.  I think you are going to love it here.... I want to welcome you and wish you happy travels!!!!!

@SeaMaiden  DD never could keep a secret. She said for my birthday, we’re going to the Space Needle for the Chihuly Museum (points for taking her Mommy, the artist to  see a glass sculptor). Then dinner at a great seafood restaurant nearby...hope I don’t have to pull out my Visa card. Love lobster especially if she’s treating!!