Honored Contributor

Re: COST OF BOARDING 2 DOGS $$$!!!$$$!!!!

Some of these boarding kennels are excessively fancy with swimming pools and TV.  Ridiculous!  I boarded mine for a week 3 years ago and when I paid the bill, I felt like I should have gotten the deed to the place.  It was one of the more reasonable kennels in the area.  I had 4 dogs and they put 2 in each run.  @Shanus.  Did you ask about putting your 2 together?  I don't travel anymore because I can't afford the boarding fees.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Shanus

you dont know any younger people that you trust? lots of college students are advertising their dog walking, dog sitting, babysitting services on the app nextdoor  or on facebook these days.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

We have two dogs too and it does get expensive.  Don't know for sure, but I think it is around $25 per day per dog.  They charge the same even if they are in the same kennel.  They charge per night and of course are not open on Sunday, so that always make us pay for one more day.

I don't want or trust anyone to be in my house, so the kennel is the only option for us.  My husband travels for work.  I can go with him sometimes, but often don't just because of the boarding fees.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I had good luck with Rover.com, too.  I found a home that only accepted one dog at a time and allowed pets to be on the couch and to sleep in the people’s bed. 

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention, I've also had a woman come in once a day and feed and water the dogs.  She also waters plants and brings in packages.  Very dependable retired state employee, her husband is a retired cop.  She's also a dog trainer.  The problem is my dogs would have a ball barking, knowing I wasn't there to maintain law and order.  Its nice to know there's someone I could call if i had to be hospitalised or something.  She's a lot cheaper than boarding.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Wow!  We live in a rural area. In August we will be boarding our 2 giant breed dogs for 6-7 days while attending my husband's military reunion. Cost for one dog is $14 a day 

. For two or more it's $12 for each. There are 6 exercise/play yardsyards and air conditioned kennels ( heated in winter). They go out 6 times a day. I think it's $7 for cats. There are other boarding places in the area but this is the best imo.

Honored Contributor

Years ago, when I had 2 cats, I used a place called Tender Loving Cat Care. My care giver would come to the house once a day (twice, If I wanted to pay for the extra visit).  She fed the cats, cleaned the litter boxes, watered plants, checked the mail, etc.  And the nicest part....she kept a diary each day of what she and the cats did, or how they were acting, while she was here.  She was awesome (and extremely trustworthy), and the price was very reasonable (though I don't recall what it was.  Wouldn't matter anyway, since it was so long ago.). It gave me a great deal of comfort while I was away.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

we have someone who dog sits right in our home. it is so much easier to have someone stay there and take care of the dog in his own environment AND watch our home at the same time. he charges $200 for the entire week, which i think is very reasonable.

@sunshine45  That would be great if we could find a reliable person...So far, no luck.

I do the same thing - they charge by the night,  not by the number of dogs.  I also pay for them to stop by at noon.   Google in your area and find a professional service that is bonded.   There are many of them out there now.  I pay $70/night, and $25/noon visit.   I have a rescue dog who spent way too much time in a kennel - won't do that to her anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Yes, it is a huge issue.  These are the times when I wish we had family.  Leaving a dog at a kennel can be very stressful for both the dog and the "parent".  I had a very ugly experience with my little girl many years ago leaving her with her vet.  When I picked her up, she was limp with drugs.  I will NEVER do that again.  I still harbor guilt...she recovered but it will always be a vivid impression in my memory.  Over the years, the dog went with or we didn't go.  We have two extensive trips coming up and I'm questioning what to do.  

A new career is blossoming....dog walkers and boarders.  There are no qualifications, but they are asking a boat load of money so lots of people jumping on the gravy train.  Our dogs have been close family, if I change rooms so does my pup,  We know his needs and signals.  We don't really know where to go with this boarding issue.  So I'm interested in hearing other solutions.  

@Shanus  Hopefully you have family or friends, that I would be gladly willing to pay if I did.  Someone you can trust, I think is the best way to go.  I thinking of friends that could be potential candidates.  I wish you the best in finding a good home for Sadie and Molly.

Valued Contributor

Have you tried Angie's List? I found a great pet sitter on there for my area. She had references and ratings.She only charges me $25/day.She feeds my cats,scoops litter and feeds my feral cats.She offers to pick up mail/paper and water plants if need be. I know cats are easier to leave at home but I would never board my cats.They live a very sheltered life and would not be happy anywhere else but home.