Honored Contributor

COST OF BOARDING 2 DOGS $$$!!!$$$!!!!

[ Edited ]

We’ll be away for 4 days. Of course, need to drop off Sadie and Molly the day before, so charged for 1st night and we’re still home...can’t be helped. Pickup hours on Sunday are only 4PM-5PM. I’m not sure we’ll make it home w/ traffic, etc., so they’ll be there another night when we’ll be home. The total for all nights (plus extra charge for giving meds per dog) is about $450 and they stay in same run. 

We’ve checked other boarding kernels’ in the area and prices are competitive. I’ve also had pet sitters several times who either left the house in shambles, ate most of what was in the freezer (steaks, etc. not agreed beforehand), or forgot 1/2 of the dogs’ meds. Yes, they had references.

Are kennel prices in your area out of sight? Want you to stay home? Visiting DD in WA in July for 8 days...beagles must be kenneled day before/picked up day after because of fight schedule. It’s costing more than 1 plane ticket!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: COST OF BOARDING 2 DOGS $$$!!!$$$!!!!

That sounds about right.  I boarded at Vet because I had one dog that would not eat when I was gone.  

Respected Contributor

Have you tried Rover.com?  The nearest kennel to me closed and I have had really good luck with Rover.  You can find sitters who will sit at their homes and some will even come to your home and sit.  I've done both.  It is ridiculous how much kennels are.  I found a lady through Rover that charges $45/night for both of my dogs.  She has a huge yard and even lets the dogs sleep with her.  One sleeps with her, the other with her husband.

Valued Contributor

I went into the hospital for a few tests, so my cats were boarded for much of that time. A friend picked them up a couple of days early and sat with them the last 2 days. The boarding fees were almost as much as my tests. I brought their food with them, so all they had to do was put food in their bowls. No meds. All 3 cats stayed in the 1 large cage. Still an expense I won't do again. And don't forget that kennel cough shot that is required. I even had to call the vet office and prove I wanted my friend to pick up my cats. She couldn't take them without proof I had okayed it. 

Honored Contributor

I went away 2 yrs ago for 10 days total ,i  have 3 dogs ,the cost was one thousand three hundred , it is a great place ,but expensive.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds reasonable to me. We've always boarded our felines with the Vet. Meds were provided. They were safe, happy, loved and well fed in their cat condos. Both my DIL and I feel very comfortable with the care our pets have received over the many years (decades for me).  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I went away 2 yrs ago for 10 days total ,i  have 3 dogs ,the cost was one thousand three hundred , it is a great place ,but expensive.

@goldensrbest  Wow! Could take another trip w/ that amount.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we have someone who dog sits right in our home. it is so much easier to have someone stay there and take care of the dog in his own environment AND watch our home at the same time. he charges $250 for the entire week, which i think is very reasonable. he can also eat anything that is in the freezer......the dog sitter, not the dog. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Sounds reasonable to me. We've always boarded our felines with the Vet. Meds were provided. They were safe, happy, loved and well fed in their cat condos. Both my DIL and I feel very comfortable with the care our pets have received over the many years (decades for me).  

@BirkiLady  Not familiar w/ cats and their needs. My dogs and most others would not be comfortable “caged” for any length of time w/o lots of exercise.

This kennel provides free play inside and out, except for rest time twice a day, before they’re kenneled for the night. I know they’re being well cared for...that’s where they go once a week (together or separately) for daycare. I’m just astounded by the boarding costs.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

we have someone who dog sits right in our home. it is so much easier to have someone stay there and take care of the dog in his own environment AND watch our home at the same time. he charges $200 for the entire week, which i think is very reasonable.

@sunshine45  That would be great if we could find a reliable person...So far, no luck.