Esteemed Contributor

I've been reading that coconut oil is good for cats and dogs:  aiding digestion, metabolism, heart health; good for their fur, can put in ears and on sores, and can also be used as a natural flea and ticket repellant.

However, I've read somwhere that you must start them out slowly.  Not sure if it was in the Community that a I learned about this.  But, if anybody knows, could you tell me the suggested dosage?  Thanx! 

Respected Contributor

Why don't you ask your vet about this first.  I think it's beyond silly to give your pets something just because you heard somewhere, you think that it's a good thing to do.  That makes no sense whatsoever. 

Honored Contributor

I've used it for a small sore NOT in the ear canal, but on the inside tip area of the ear, and the sore healed very quickly.  Also, for minor cut/sore on the skin where the cat or dog cannot lick it off.  (With vet.'s approval).   I'm not sure about the cat ingesting it, and I would call your vet. just to make sure.  And/or visit a reputable Internet cat site, maybe a gov or vet. hospital site.  Coconut oil is a natural anti microbial, anti fungal, anti bacterial.  But, as far as using it for fleas, I don't think it's a good idea because the cat will lick off far too much, IMO.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

In addition to talking with your vet., try researching the various Universities' Dept. of Veterinary Medicine sites.  Find what they have to say re: recent studies (if any) regarding coconut oil and pets.  Personally, I wouldn't use too much (or any at all) in cat's/dog's food unless widely approved by recent medical studies, etc.  Just for small/minor sores very minor cuts, etc.  Anything that looks like an abscess/infection should be referred to a veterinarian.  (Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Re: COCONUT OIL

[ Edited ]

I have 2 dogs - 6 pounders - and I give them 1/8 tsp. daily – they lick it right up and love it. If I say “coconut” they come running like it is a treat. I started off giving them too much (1 tsp.) and they had diarrhea from it. The reduced 1/8 tsp. is the perfect amount orally. I also do rub some on a spot if they have a sore or cut (like from the groomer) and it heals quickly. If it is a place where they can lick it off, rub it in thoroughly and reduce or skip the oral amount so they do not develop diarrhea. It also cured “leather ear” on my Yorkie’s ear – her fur grew back beautifully.

NOTE: I would not put it in their ear canal - only on their ear.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

you definitely should speak with your vet first. I also do not like the amounts many sites recommend based on size of the dog. I think it is way too much because even though coconut oil has good health benefits, it is still a fat and has calories and it can do more harm than good if too much is consumed. Also, if your dog is on a special diet, adding in something like coconut oil is not recommended unless okay'd by your vet because most specialty (or Rx) diets are perfectly balanced and adding in additional supplements, etc can throw the balance off.

I do give my dogs some almost every day and have for many years.

Esteemed Contributor

The site I checked this out on recommended starting slowly 1/4 tsp for small pets; then recommended 1 tbs per lb for larger pets.  My babe weighs 93lbs, so I just think 3tbs would be way tooo much.  Was thinking of adding 1/4tsp by pouring it over some cantaoupe slices as a daily snack.  But, you're all right and I will consult a vet first.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Just got off the phone with Banfield and they said coconut oil was fine - just not too much 'cause it's fattening!  And, coconut oil does not effect any meds your pet might be taking. Said I was planning to put 1/4tsp over cantaloupe slices (weaning her off of doggie cookies) and was told a tsp, based on her size, would be fine.

Thanx for all your repliesSmiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I have 2 dogs - 6 pounders - and I give them 1/8 tsp. daily – they lick it right up and love it. If I say “coconut” they come running like it is a treat. I started off giving them too much (1 tsp.) and they had diarrhea from it. The reduced 1/8 tsp. is the perfect amount orally. I also do rub some on a spot if they have a sore or cut (like from the groomer) and it heals quickly. If it is a place where they can lick it off, rub it in thoroughly and reduce or skip the oral amount so they do not develop diarrhea. It also cured “leather ear” on my Yorkie’s ear – her fur grew back beautifully.

NOTE: I would not put it in their ear canal - only on their ear.

@Havarti

Just wanted to mention, Harvarti, that I had read somewhere that when you give your dogs a tsp of the coconut oil, it's a form of bonding - the pets enjoy it so much!

Honored Contributor

We just had a lengthy post on this last month, so we all know coconut oil will cure everything.  Yeah, right.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment