Esteemed Contributor

Re: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE STINKY KIND.......

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a dog door, dogs come and go at will.  When I get a whiff of skunk late at night, dogs and I make a dive for the dog door and I make sure I get there first to block it.  If there's anything I hate it's having to bathe two skunked dogs at midnight.   I keep a great product called "Skunk Out" on hand for such emergencies.  It's very hard to get rid of the odor completely with just one bath regardless of what you use. 

@Kachina624  What are the ingredients of this "Skunk Out"?  I may have to check this out and have some on hand.  The thought of mixing up a batch of "deskunker" late at night doesn't sound fun at all LOL!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs. Re: Getting rid of skunk smell. I've had wonderful success with plain old tomato juice. I keep huge cans (restaurant size from big box stores) of it in the pantry. Bathe your dog in it (straight from can) asap and let it stay on him as long as he'll stay put. Then rinse with warm water.

I learned the trick many years ago from a hairdresser while she giving perms. The sulfur stench was filling the salon. She rinsed the clients' hair w/ tomato juice to get rid of the smell....She said the acid in the juice counteracted the sulfur in perms & it worked on her dogs when they encountered a skunk.

Give it a try. It's worked on my beagles who will roll around in anything "stinky".

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Good to know that it worked for you.  Thanks for the tip. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a dog door, dogs come and go at will.  When I get a whiff of skunk late at night, dogs and I make a dive for the dog door and I make sure I get there first to block it.  If there's anything I hate it's having to bathe two skunked dogs at midnight.   I keep a great product called "Skunk Out" on hand for such emergencies.  It's very hard to get rid of the odor completely with just one bath regardless of what you use. 

@Kachina624  What are the ingredients of this "Skunk Out"?  I may have to check this out and have some on hand.  The thought of mixing up a batch of "deskunker" late at night doesn't sound fun at all LOL!

@tends2dogs  This is what the description at Amazon says:

Harvard Chemical Research Skunk Out is a blend of odor control counteractants, solvents and detergents that reduce the spread of odor causing molecules into the atmosphere. Skunk Out will overcome the most severe odor such as death scene, skunk odors, and unusually strong pet or smoke odors. Encapsulates the odor and reduces the spread of odor causing molecules. Effective against the most severe types of odors. Contains no oxidizers, enzymes, or desensitizers. Compatible with all detergents including germicides. Nontoxic, nonirritating and totally biodegradable. Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Prior to using this or any cleaning product, make sure employees read and understand the hazard information found on the product label. Clear liquid appearance. Pleasant odor. PH: 7. Specific gravity: 0.98. Size: 1-gallon

It's not cheap but a little goes a long way.  Excellent product for any extreme foul odor. 

All tomato juice did for my white poodle was turn him pink.  Still smelled to high heaven after 2 tomato juice baths.  He took a direct hit.  That little dog loved ❤️ to chase skunks. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Gosh, @Kachina624, thank you!  I hope you could cut and paste that (I don't know how).  I could have looked that up myself, sorry.  That article I printed here said the same thing about tomato juice. 

I wonder if this product you posted about is similar to the XOXO that Don Aslett brings to QVC??  I will check that out, too.

Again, thank you. 

Regular Contributor

I never see Tends to Dogs on here anymore. Does anyone know what happened.

Regular Contributor

@tends2dogs

I have wondered about you. I never see you post anymore. I enjoyed your posts and your Will pictures. I hope things are ok.

Frequent Contributor

looking for pictures