Super Contributor

CBD oil for my dog's anxiety

Recently, my 2 1/2 yo Pom has started having anxiety during storms. She trembles uncontrollably and runs into the darkest room.  Talked to my vet yesterday, and she was enthusiastic re: CBD oil, has heard of good results, but is not allowed to carry it, so can't help with brands etc. (Might be a state reg.)

Anyway, I started looking on Amazon etc., and all I can find is hemp oil. Seems CBD is considered a "narcotic" and A won't sell it.  I know some here are very knowledgeable on this subject, so wanted to ask here.

Is there a difference? What should I look for? I found one website that sells CBD oil for pets, but it's very pricey, and they aren't up front with the ingredients.

I found a hemp oil with Grapeseed oil. I know grapes aren't good for dogs, does the same go for Grapeseed oil?

Any help/suggestions are welcome!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CBD oil for my dog's anxiety

I wouldn't put anything in dog's mouth or on skin for that problem - you never know the side effects!   You and doggy go to a bedroom or quiet place and put music on - loud enough to drown out storm.  And/or look at those 'jackets' that hug the dog - makes them feel secure - - - and talk and pet your friend.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@summerwind, I use CBD oil for myself, but I would not use it on my dog unless I cleared it with my vet.  If you have a compounding pharmacy near you, I suggest that you stop in and discuss this also with the pharmacist.  

What I can tell you is that while CBD oil is not supposed to interfere with meds, I have gone from hypothyroid with varying doses to hyperthyroid, and CBD oil is the only change that I have made.  My doctors are aware of this, but I don't think that any doctor really knows that much about it.

If you have a younger vet, he/she probably knows more about it than an older one.  Start there.

Be very careful before you start medicating your pet on your own.  It can be very dangerous.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

You can come to Oklahoma.  There's a CBD place opening up every 2 blocks here. . . We'll get you a 55-gallon drum of it. . . Woman Frustrated

Super Contributor

I have been using this for a long time on my elderly dog for his pain...and no side affects and he actually is doing great. Hops around and much happier. Also have given to my australian shephard when I need her to be calm in the car on long trips. Affraid to post the company as might get taken off. The canister reads Doggy Be Good-green garden gold (Hemp extract dog treats). They come in gluten free with antioxidants and peanut butter based. I buy them on line from a company that only supply these types of products (out of Colorado). Hemp is natural and not dangerous...just follow the directions.

Honored Contributor

@summerwindSince your vet recommended it that is what I would go with.   I am pretty sure hemp oil is the same.  A search for CBD for pets will bring up many sites.  My vet has also said CBD if great for many issues and highly recommends it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been giving my pup CBD oil for the past few months.  It has made a huge difference.  She had generalized anxiety so she takes it daily.  Our vet recommended two brands she felt comfortable with. I have been using the one that Cornell university had studied for mobility/arthritis issues.  I figured at least that way I knew the dosages had been studied for side effects.  (That should be enough info to look it up)

My vet uses a local CBD provider (I live in Washington State) that advertises their companion canna cbd oil.  She uses it for generalilzed anxiety and aggression in her dog.    (That should be enough info to look it up.) 

I will say that I have a friend that tried some CBD biscuits she found on the internet  for the Fourth of July.    The dog was better .... but he still wasn't calm.   So I suppose every dog is different.

I agree that both of these brands are expensive.  In my case it is helping with my dog's anxiety, pain control and appetite so I feel it is worth it.   (And my dog is 85 pounds so her dosage is pretty high.)

Respected Contributor

@summerwind

That's what a THUNDERSHIRT is for.   

I personally use the thunderleash and just love it, total control over the dog.

You can go on their website and read all about it, why administer some kind of witch oil when a shirt will work.   

I sound like a walking advertisement for them but I believe in that leash 100%.

Honored Contributor

@GAC65  @juanitalinda  You are allowed to say the brand name of the CBD oil you're using.  It would be helpful to the OP to know the brand.  You just can't post a link to another website that is selling something.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@summerwind

That's what a THUNDERSHIRT is for.   

I personally use the thunderleash and just love it, total control over the dog.

You can go on their website and read all about it, why administer some kind of witch oil when a shirt will work.   

I sound like a walking advertisement for them but I believe in that leash 100%.

I had 2 dogs that thundershirt did nothing for so it won't work for every dog.  I tried every natural supplement for severe anxiety for seperation, thunder and fireworks as well.  I had to put her on amitriptiline and even that did not work well but did help keeping them from hurting themselves and me at these times.  I wish CBD oil (which is natural) would have been available for them.  My vet says no harmful side effects have been reported.