Trusted Contributor

CAT acting BAD...on purpose

[ Edited ]

I know this might sound crazy but I think my SPOILED cat (SOCKS)  is acting up on PURPOSE when he can't get his way.

My kitchen leads to the patio and deck outside.

My cat loves to go outside and I would take him outside with me to the patio or deck only.  I would have him sit on the swinging chair with me.  So whenever I get the key to open the patio door he runs at 100 miles per hour and fights to get outside.

Well, I KNEW I had a large possum in my backyard by the shed but I had not seen her for a while.  The other day I noticed, a few baby possums in the grass eating and I saw one on the deck.

SO you know what that means, no more Socks going outside at all. Especially when I saw the possum on the deck.

So I went outside on Saturday with hubby. Hubby opened the door and SOCKS ran to the door.  Hubby picked him up and did not let him go outside.  Then later when I was going outside, I put Socks in the guest room so I could open the door with my tray of food and drinks.

In the guest room is where Socks litter box is kept and I knew it was clean.  I just did it.

WHY did that JOKER, throw up on my mint green rug.  I know this might sound crazy but I KNOW he did it on purpose.

I was so mad!!! I got the stain out but I could not believe he did that.  He was in the room for 20-30 minutes.

I don't know how to address this bad behavior. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: CAT acting BAD...on purpose

I don't have any advice, but I enjoyed your story, and I understand your frustration!  Our fur pets are smart and communicate however they can.  I don't know how to discipline a kitty!  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

a universal truth . . .

0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I don't think he did it on purpose.  I doubt cats can make themselves throw up out of spite.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB ....I can totally relate. I have a bad kitty who does things on purpose. He knows exactly what he is doing. I don't have an answer. I have been dealing with it for 12 yrs. Cat Mad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

IMO, one incident does not mean a cat is acting bad. His stomach was upset, he threw up. Cats do that.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Socks does not understand why the pattern you have established has suddenly been changed, and you have taken away a special privilege he clearly enjoys sharing with you.  It appears to him you are punishing him and I am sure he is stressed because he has no idea what he did wrong to be excluded and then locked up.  Stress can make them throw up.  Animals do not have revenge in their character (we could learn so much from animals).  Try to think of it from his perspective of being rejected, excluded and locked up.  He must love you and really enjoy the daily ritual of going out on the deck & sitting with you in the fresh air.  He does not understand you are trying to protect the possum and her babies.  Could you put a harness & leash on Socks so he could go out and sit on the cushion with you but not be able to get to the possum & babies?  It could be weeks or months before the babies go away and that long of a wait will really torment Socks.  Just something to think about.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I don't think he did it on purpose.  I doubt cats can make themselves throw up out of spite.

you might be right.

I had another incident that was similar.  I find that Socks will lick himself agressively and will lick his butt area, I wonder if the mixture of eating fast and bacteria caused him to get sick.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

You can only grin and bear it.  Have you considered getting kitty a harness and leash so he could go outside but be under your comtrol?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Well, haven't had a kitty to be mommy to.

I have had and have dogs.  I've found that a time-out warning works like a charm - for some reason dogs do not like time-outs.

I've also realized, I've become my parents!Woman Embarassed - tiwce just this weekend!  Sunday morning I made a run to the grocery store basically to please Eddy, my furbaby, as we had been out of ice cream for a few days.  At lunch time when he did not want to eat (though hungry - he checked out his dish and very disappointedly walked away)!  So, I automatically said if he didn't eat his dinner, they'd be no dessert (ice cream).  He ate his dinner, every single piece of kibble.  I had earlier told him when he wanted to stay out in his yard, if he didn't come in they'd be no ice cream - he immediately came in.

Guess, if it worked on us, it'll work on them.  That's the best I can offer - hope it works for you!