Honored Contributor

CAR STEP FOLD OUT STOOL FOR DOG?

Our dog has a joint problem in his rear legs and has trouble getting into the SUV.    Some time ago I seem to recall seeing a little fold out step that can be installed against a seat and the dog can hop in and then it's folded up again .....  but now I can't find one anywhere!

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and where I can find one?    We don't want a heavy step stool that has to be lugged around in the car, if we can avoid it.

TIA !!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: CAR STEP FOLD OUT STOOL FOR DOG?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   My dog had the same problem when he got old.  I didn't even want him to do steps so I researched online and bought him an excellent dog ramp.   The one I purchased online I later found out was also available from Costco online.   

The ramp IMO was the way to go. The dog learned very quickly how to use it  in about twenty minutes using treats, and it was no problem and made him able to get into my SUV again when he could no longer jump into it.

Amazon has lots of these available too - I just looked - and there are customer reviews for them.  One thing to watch it how it butts up to the vehicle and whether there is a "lip" on the sides to protect the dog from falling off it, how heavy it is, and also how it folds up so your fingers don't get smashed or squeezed while folding it up again.   Pet steps are also available on Amazon.

I did do quite a bit of research before Ibought mine as I said.  Mine is still out in the garage so I'll take a look at the brand later.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I just ordered a car ramp yesterday for my Golden Retriever from Chewy.com.  I order food and such from them as well.  They have a nice selection of pet ramps etc.  They ship out FAST  and there is no shipping on the ramp I ordered.  A very nice company to order from. They even sent me a personal Christmas card in the MAIL to thank me for my business.  You can order without fear from this company!

Esteemed Contributor

My dog has now crossed over Rainbow Bridge, but he had the same problems. I purchased him a dog ramp, from Dr. Fosters that worked well. I know that you are requesting information on the stool, but for my dog's advanced age and problems the ramp worked better and was much easier for him to navigate.

Honored Contributor

Google "Pet Loader." Seems a bit overkill to me, and although foldable, it looks big and heavy. $200

Look on Amazon for Heininger 3052 portable pet Twistep Dog Hitch ($250), Otto step car pet ramp ($80) and Great Day HU200 Hitch Up ($150).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I'm looking for something that would be sturdy and narrow enough for my foster dog to get in and out of the backseat.  Have a ramp, which is very heavy, and won't fit rear door opening.  Have a Jeep Grand Jerokee and the back doors don't open fully - open at an angle.  Hesitate to put him the the  cargo area, as there's not way to restrain him and afraid he'll fall and get hurt.  Has severe back/spine issues so have to limit movements.  Saw some stairs on Amazon, but not sure how they'd work out.  Tinkrbl44, should you choose to search Amazon just type in dog steps.

Trusted Contributor

My Holly had IVDD, a spinal issue, and her walking was limited.   But she was small enough to carry into the car.    I bought her a folding ramp, which she refused to use.    I have passed it on to a friend with senior dogs.   There are folding ramps that can assist in car entry/exist that are long enough and can be kept in the car.

There is a group online, Dodger's list, that deals with IVDD dogs.    There is a new harness, assist, to help a dog walk with rear leg weakness.    It is called a "Gentle Lead" and supports the rear as you walk with them.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Hi Tink! I recently bought one at BBBeyond that is wood, sturdy and can be either steps or a ramp. It fits up perfectly to make the back seat entry easy in my SUV.

The wooden support legs can be removed to make it flatter to store in you car, but it doesn't 'fold up' since it's wood.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/pawslife-trade-deluxe-convertible-pet-step-ramp/104325...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Great suggestions !!!     Thanks to all !!!