Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss.  @MalteseMomma  My Maltese is my very soul too!  Please read my reply to Foxxee.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@goldensrbest.  I've had many friends who've had Golden Retrievers and, without exception, each has died of cancer.  It's genetic in the breed and I know researchers are trying to determine why this happens but it has nothing to do with what they're fed.  I would not have one for this reason; you're asking for a broken heart.

I've had dogs my entire life, some mutts but mostly purebreds; collies, Aussies, Shelties, Dalmatians, a Cocker, several miniature poodles.  I've never had a dog with cancer.  I know Goldens are wonderful dogs and have amazing attributes but I would not have a dog I knew was going to suffer a death by cancer.  All the dogs I listed were also amazing and they lived long natural lives.

I have been in touch with a few aussie breeders, been told that aussies are now getting cancer more often,kidney cancer they said was one type that is happening.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@goldensrbest 

I would surley like to know too ,as I very SUDDENLY,lost my beloved Cozi,Oct.3rd.

He never showed one sign of anything wrong.Was NEVER sick.He ate very well everyday.Slept well.No throwing up,no bowel problems,nothing at all.Playfull,still loving to go outside to see  his friends,ect.

One morning I found him listless(as vet called it) in the kitchen and not in bed with me.Off to the vet,who took xrays,sonagrams,ect and showed me he was full of cancer and nothing can be done! Instantly he was gone!

How can that be???? I would sure as "H" love to know.Where,how,what caused it!!!!! Why no symptoms???

People tell me animals don't show their health problems because in the wild they get attacked.I understand that ,but  Cozi,was not in the wild...he was my very soul...

"FULL of CANCER????? I will never understand it

Ok, just an FYI from what I've learned with two humans who had/have cancer.  Many trips to the doctor never showed (nor did any of her doc's find, her ovarian cancer). Now my sister's was just found early Oct. She's waiting to do transplant surgery next month.  When hers was found by accident, she only had a 10% chance of making it and nothing let us any of us know she was sick.  I think cancer can sneak up on people, when we realize how quickly it takes those we love away with no indications. It's a horrible disease.  I'm sorry for your loss.  My first little Yorkie girl, had it in her throat, and we didn't know either, it was found and that was that.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee    I agree about vaccine happy vets and over vaccination. Problem is that most states mandate the rabies as law... ad many vets and groomers   and ;pet boarding places will not take your dog unless it is fully vaccinated.... The vet made me sign this document stating I was saying no to the rabies vaccine..... like I was a criminal.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Foxxee    I agree about vaccine happy vets and over vaccination. Problem is that most states mandate the rabies as law... ad many vets and groomers   and ;pet boarding places will not take your dog unless it is fully vaccinated.... The vet made me sign this document stating I was saying no to the rabies vaccine..... like I was a criminal.

@SeaMaiden 

You are right.  The oncolgist I went to said the test to detect rabies immunity would show she didn't need it...ever again.  She would send the results to the state.  My dog died within the two years she'd need one again.  So, I never found out.

My current vet said he wouldn't admit dogs that didn't have rabies, parvo and kennel cough vaccinations, but parvo and kennel cough could be given at the time of admission....????  So, since my dogs have their teeth cleaned every year and are at the clinic all day, they get those vaccinations and rabies, but only if tests show they need them. The last time, they didn't, so the future remains to be seen.  

It's true, vaccinations are required for boarding. There are local dog sitters who will stay at our houses or visit and feed our dogs, take them for walks, as many times a day as we want.  Some have excellent references.  You might find one who doesn't require vaccinations.  You can find them on "Next Door."

Other than that, we are stuck if we want to go somewhere unless, my preference, we have children, a relative, friend, or trusted neighbor, who will take care of them.   

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest  so sorry. I think cancer in our pets must be more prevalent now. Some years ago I lost a dog to cancer and now just in the last few days a cat. My brother has also lost 2 dogs to cancer in the past few years.