Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee I do think we over-vaccinate our dogs.  I will titer before I allow Spencer to get another shot.  However, in my state dogs have to be vaccinated for rabies in order to get a license.  If you do not get a license then you will be fined, although they will not know that unless your dog bites someone.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Maybe it is the same reason that people are warned about:  lack of exercise, too much time indoors, and diet. Dogs have not been eating a basically human diet for that long back.  

Dogs lived a VERY different lifestyle even 60 years ago for the most part.  Maybe that is worth thinking about. . . Were they healthier then or now?  Maybe they are indoors and couch potatoes too much?  Like me!  

@Sooner     and in nature, wild dogs did not live to be 10, 12 14 years of age  very often,... most lived 5-7 years...  I think technology and medicine has been both good and bad,,,inbreeding.... chemicals... toxins,,,, vacinations... unnatural food.... takes away from the good things about our pets lifestyles today.

Esteemed Contributor

Overvaccination.

RoundUp.  It is in everything, it is everywhere.  

Flea, tick, and heartworm meds.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

After my Cozi got all his first shots,i never got anymore shots.i did not use heartworm meds. but  I did use Frontline.

Cozi was just 5 yrs old .........

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

After my Cozi got all his first shots,i never got anymore shots.i did not use heartworm meds. but  I did use Frontline.

Cozi was just 5 yrs old .........

@MalteseMomma That is just too youngWoman Sad

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  So sorry, 3 is just too young for a dog to get cancer.

@goldensrbest , she was a victim of very bad breeding.  She had a lot of medical issues that were passed down from her mom, who never should have been bread.  We thought we were going to lose her a year prior when she was diagnosed with a neuropathy that was definitely passed down to her.  She recovered from them and then got cancer.  Smiley Sad  It was heartbreaking.      

Honored Contributor

Re: CANCER , in our dogs

[ Edited ]

I don't believe not vaccinating is the answer.  Ever see a dog stricken with parvo?  Or heartworm?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't believe not vaccinating is the answer.  Ever see a dog stricken with parvo?  Or heartworm?

Yes, I had two dogs that had parvo in the 80's.  One was an 8 week old puppy and the other was our 7 month old puppy.  The older one had been vaccinated, but still contracted it from the 8 week old.  It was a terrible thing to watch them go through, but they both made it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

My thoughts on vacations is this,yes get puppy vaccines, and a few others ,but once a dog is say 5, or 6 ,stop them, that is what i think, spirit only had rabie shot, cambridge turned 9 last year, she got the rabie shot,was sick for 3 days, that is what i know made her sick.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

The University of North Carolina and the University of Wisconsin have teamed up to study bladder cancer in certain breeds. They are finding that in a some breeds they think lawn chemicals are causing bladder cancer. I know they were studying Beagles and Scottish Terriers, but, I remember the other breeds,