Valued Contributor

@Libra2  Yes,that's all my kitties drink.I live in a large city and there are constant exposes that our drinking water is bad.Then the city comes out and states that it's okay. Ever the cynic,I buy bottled water and have filters on my kitchen faucet. 

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme 

After the recent incident with our little Smokey, I tend to agree with you about the flea/heartworm prevention medication.  

We used the same medication (except it was for dogs) for years on our beloved yellow lab.  He had to be euthanized last August due to cancers all over his poor body.  

When we used the medication on our kitty, until I read your post in the thread about her, I had not even considered the harm it might cause her.  My husband is convinced that the flea medication is what made her so violently ill.   

Respected Contributor

@NickNack   I haven't read through all the posts yet, so it may have been answered already, but what is titering and can I have it done with my kitty? 

Respected Contributor

You know, reading through all the responses, I have to agree that it is the chemicals.  Look at the Roundup cases now coming to light. Also, if any of you have a husband or a loved one who served in Vietnam, you know that they were sprayed like bugs with Agent Orange.  My husband has cancers all over his face and arms from that stuff.  Just think of the week killers, pesticides, and heaven knows what else - even fertilizers that our furbabies are walking through, or worse yet, ingesting.  

Honored Contributor

Re: CALLING ALL PET LOVERS

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@NickNack   I haven't read through all the posts yet, so it may have been answered already, but what is titering and can I have it done with my kitty? 

@Georgiagrama   Titers are blood tests to determine the amount of antibodies a dog has to the diseases that the pet is being vaccinated for.  It isn't legal to titer for rabies since it's required by law.  When I got my kitten a year and a half ago I asked my Vet if you could titer cats.  She said that unfortunately titers aren't accurate for cats.  I was very disappointed.  I believe in vaccines when they are necessary, but I am seriously considering not getting my cat vaccinated again.  He had the vaccines as a kitten, and he never goes outside.  I don't really see a reason to do it, although I will do the rabies.  I do give him Revolution for heartworms and fleas.  If I were you I probably wouldn't give Smokey the Revolution (or heartworm/flea meds you used) again.  That's just my opinion though.

This is part of an article I found about the effectiveness of titers in cats.  I can't post the link because of ads in the article.

The all-time most dreaded disease in cats is panleukopenia. Although it is sometimes called feline distemper, it is unrelated to the canine distemper virus (although it is closely related to canine parvovirus). Recent research suggests that titers offer a good approximation of immunity to panleukopenia. Cats with high titers against the virus are not likely to become sick if exposed to it, and they probably don’t need to receive booster vaccinations against the disease.

Panleukopenia vaccines usually come bundled into a single shot (the so-called FVRCP) that also protects against feline calicivirus and feline herpesvirus. Titers are commercially available for all three of these diseases. Unfortunately, titers do not appear to offer a good approximation of true immunity against calicivirus and herpesvirus.

Therefore, although commercially available titers appear to be appropriate for measuring whether an adult cat needs to be vaccinated against panleukopenia, they do not appear to be appropriate for making this determination for the other two pathogens in the FVRCP.

Sadly, at this time titers also appear to be of little use in determining whether cats require other vaccines, such as those against rabies, coronavirus (FIP), or feline leukemia virus. This is partly because titers for these diseases are not readily available in a commercial setting, and partly because less is understood about whether titers offer an accurate approximation of immunity for these diseases. Bear in mind that rabies vaccines in cats are often mandated by law, and that most jurisdictions will not consider titers in lieu of vaccination.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@eddyandme 

After the recent incident with our little Smokey, I tend to agree with you about the flea/heartworm prevention medication.  

We used the same medication (except it was for dogs) for years on our beloved yellow lab.  He had to be euthanized last August due to cancers all over his poor body.  

When we used the medication on our kitty, until I read your post in the thread about her, I had not even considered the harm it might cause her.  My husband is convinced that the flea medication is what made her so violently ill.   

It's horrible, isn't it, @Georgiagrama .  It seems to be a no win situation.  I give Eddy Heartgard monthly.  Have also been giving him Nexxgard for eight months of the year per Vet.  She's coming here for Eddy's annual and I asked her if she feels I should switch something else for the Nexxgard.  She believes Eddy is safe for the Nexxgard:  he's 1/2 American Staffordshire Terrier and 1/2 American Cocker Spaniel - neither breed seems to be affected.  She also gives her furbabies Nexxgard.  In MA, I can skip four months 'cause it;s cold here.  You have to weigh what can happen with and without it.  The vets I've always gone to aren't "natural only" school, but, they too, seriously weigh the benefits vs. the harm.  Unfortunately, the rabies vac is still required; also note, get the three-year shot which is the same dose as the annual shot.  

I feel your pain, I think of Jade and talk to her daily.  Smokey loves you - you each share a piece of your hearts - and he knows everything you and you DH always did was with love and the very best for him.Heart

I have a product that kills fleas & is natural. It is called Diatomaceous Earth. The brand I have is WHOLISTIC Pet Organics. It is made from fresh water deposits. Pure, fossil shell flour.  It Works! My Vet told me about it.

Dee J