Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003

I'm sorry for your loss.  And, yes, Minuet will always have a part of your heart.  But, they give so much to us, giving a piece of us to take with them and keep close to us with is really worth it, I think.Heart

There are so many causes for cancer.  Just think over medicating, as in vaccinations, is one of the major causes.  I don't know whether purebred/pedigree matters, wish I knew.

Thank you for joining this thread.  And, please put forth any thoughts/ideas/feelings you may have - putting our collective heads together just might beging to help end/reduce cancer in our furbabies.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@hyacinth003

I'm sorry for your loss.  And, yes, Minuet will always have a part of your heart.  But, they give so much to us, giving a piece of us to take with them and keep close to us with is really worth it, I think.Heart

There are so many causes for cancer.  Just think over medicating, as in vaccinations, is one of the major causes.  I don't know whether purebred/pedigree matters, wish I knew.

Thank you for joining this thread.  And, please put forth any thoughts/ideas/feelings you may have - putting our collective heads together just might beging to help end/reduce cancer in our furbabies.

My girl was purebred Miniature American Eskimo and she had lymphoma that presented itself in her eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@hyacinth003

My girl was purebred Miniature American Eskimo and she had lymphoma that presented itself in her eyes.

@RainyDayGal

I'm so sorry.  My girl had metastic bone caner which is an aggressive, non-stopable disease:  once diagnosed they won't even operate because it's withint the body and tumors are inside/out ant various sites.  She was a purebred English Yellow Lab.  That's one area we could consider - if others respond and their baby was purebred/pedigree; also male vs female and cancer rate.  I read somewhere it is more widespread in 'fixed' animals.  We just gotta keep coming up with ideas and then see what data we can collect.  Thanx.

Esteemed Contributor

My experience with pet disease:

One female spayed Old English Sheepdog - lymphoma

One male  neutered Old English Sheepdog - brain tumor

One male neutered Old English Sheepdog - hypothyroidism

One male neutered Old English Sheepdog - lymphoma

I did have one male neutered Old English Sheepdog that lived to be 15 and passed from old age.

I believe that inbreeding is a big problem.  I believe that vaccinations are a big problem.  Poor nutrition causes an animal's immunities to drop and they are susceptible to disease.  Who is to say that the carpet they lay on, the cleanser we use to mop our floor, air fresheners, bug spray, on and on and on couldn't be contributing to the demise of our pets, let alone us???  We need to make better choices.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

My experience with pet disease:

One female spayed Old English Sheepdog - lymphoma

One male  neutered Old English Sheepdog - brain tumor

One male neutered Old English Sheepdog - hypothyroidism

One male neutered Old English Sheepdog - lymphoma

I did have one male neutered Old English Sheepdog that lived to be 15 and passed from old age.

I believe that inbreeding is a big problem.  I believe that vaccinations are a big problem.  Poor nutrition causes an animal's immunities to drop and they are susceptible to disease.  Who is to say that the carpet they lay on, the cleanser we use to mop our floor, air fresheners, bug spray, on and on and on couldn't be contributing to the demise of our pets, let alone us???  We need to make better choices.

@tends2dogs

You are right.  There seems to be many things contributing to this disease.  Luck and genetics are a big factor also.  I think that info I read on getting our pets "fixed" is probably a contributing factor also.  But, it's a damned if you do; damned if you don't situation.  And, one of the first things a rescue does is spay/neuter - for good reason, too.  I really do thing that overmedicating with unnecessary vaccinations is a major contributing factor - one that readily can be resolved, if we can get the legislatures to change the laws.  Easier said that done, since pharmaceutical companies have tremendous lobbying powers.  But, that's something, imho, we have an ability to change by fighting this together.  Will there still be cancer.  Sure.  Can we work on reducing this epidemic?  Yes, one step at a time.  Something I think is necessary in order to help our furbabies. Good to know Quin is doing well! 

Esteemed Contributor

OT:  SHADOW CAUGHT THE MOUSE !!!

Actually, Shadow trapped the mouse!  For weeks we have been plagued with a mouse in the house.  I am kind to all animals, lest they enter our perimeter:  then, it's WAR!  First noticed that a mouse had been in our downstairs playroom.  Don't know how it entered, perhaps through the cold storage room as there are pipes extending through the foundation with screens for air in there.  (I believe that was to be a 'bomb shelter' - for any of you who remember the nuc scare when we were mere babes,)  Anyways,though it's all sealed off figured a field mouse had gotten in.  Set traps downstairs, to no avail.  This was one smart mouse for it would eat the p.b. or cheese and make a quick getaway!  Then, last week, I left a half-eaten Zing bar on the kitchen table.  The next morning, I found the bar flipped over and wrapper opened and bar partially eaten (guess it was not appetizing) with droppings on the kitchen table!  I felt violated!  Not only was this intruder in the house, but had been on the kitchen table - how gross!!! 

Still unable to catch this violator, I was frustrated and a little depressed; no matter how much I scrubbed and cleaned, trying to sterilize everything,  I just felt down and dirty.  Shadow-Jaden realized his Momma wasn't happy and got to work to rectify the situation.  For the past few days, The Shad scoured our home following the mouse around.  Wednesday evening he almost had it!  However, although we removed the radiator cover, that rodent had been able to make a clean getaway.  Shadow was barking and yelping in frustration for the mouse had slipped into crevices he could not reach!  Last nite though, it all came to a head!  Shadow trapped it and it fled into the TV console.  While he guarded the TV, I filled the plastic trap with p.b., then set it aside the television.  We went to bed early so this intruder could make his move, with the hopes of catching him.  Eureka!  This morning we went into the living room and lo and behold, the mouse was caught!  Needless to say, we're both 'pleased as punch'!

I always praise Shadow-Jaden as much and as often as possible, for I believe he's always played 'second fiddle' if ya know what I mean.  And, though he's blossomed since his adoption, this time it really took.  He knows he saved the day for, this time, I could see a real sense of pride in his eyes!

As a special thank you this morning he got his kibble strewn with some nice fresh strawberries and milk.  That boy's one really Happy Camper! Smiley Very Happy

Anyways, just wanted to give a shout out to my very special furbaby, a bealtiful black and white lab mix,  Shadow-Jaden!  You rock, my love!!!!!Woman Very HappyHeart

And, back on topic, still waiting to hear from Senator's Moore's office.  Will give them a little more time with their 'research' - hoping that they agree a propose a change in law to allow titer testing in place of the annual rabies shot.  Been wondering if anyone else has had any luck with their representatives?

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme  So glad you are pursuing this important work.  I have been too busy physically and mentally right now to take part.  Taking care of Quin is using my energies right now. 

Just have to say "good job Shadow, you're a good boy!"

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@eddyandme  So glad you are pursuing this important work.  I have been too busy physically and mentally right now to take part.  Taking care of Quin is using my energies right now. 

Just have to say "good job Shadow, you're a good boy!"

@tends2dogs

I totally understand and believe you should continue to dedicate all of your time and energy to Quin.  I keep wanting to write another chapter on Jade's story, but mentally haven't been up to it.  We can only handle things on their own time.  Don't feel bad, making that boy happy is your full-time 'job' right nowHeart!

Contributor

Contributor

My dog Hunter also passed from cancer. I was thinking it could be the water.

does anyone give their pet bottled water. I am thinking about doing this.