Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs, you didn't say what type of bone marrow disease so I'm providing you with a list of "accepted" diseases related to agent orange.  http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/

This link is the search results for agent orange and bone marrow.  Again, not knowing what I was specifically searching for I had to keep it general.  Lots of information to wade through and likely a claims that have been dismissed but you never know what you will find that relates to your DH.  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=agent+orange+and+bone+marrow+disease&ia=web

Everyday I am reminded how lucky I am that in spite of what happened to my brother in Viet Nam he has suffered few after effects.  His children are another story however.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Good morning!  Just wanted to make a quick mention about a daily newsletter I started receiving via email.  It is from a Dr. Karen Becker.  It has different articles each day and often times I just delete them if they don't interest me.  However, today there is one titled "The ABC's of nosodes".  As I stated before, this is the homeopathic alternative to vaccinations.  I haven't listened to this email yet this morning.  I will later in the day after church.  I am sure if you Google it, you can find it.  I have no idea how to post a link.  It says on the email Mercola Newsletter.  Either way, I think you can find it.  They had one a few days ago about new findings (eye roll) that vaccinations don't need to be given as often as they are.  If you are interested, try finding today's article and maybe they have archives of other articles.

Try:

Dr. Karen Becker D.V.M.

The ABC's of Nosodes

Mercola Newsletter

Have a good day!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@tends2dogs, you didn't say what type of bone marrow disease so I'm providing you with a list of "accepted" diseases related to agent orange.  http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/

This link is the search results for agent orange and bone marrow.  Again, not knowing what I was specifically searching for I had to keep it general.  Lots of information to wade through and likely a claims that have been dismissed but you never know what you will find that relates to your DH.  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=agent+orange+and+bone+marrow+disease&ia=web

Everyday I am reminded how lucky I am that in spite of what happened to my brother in Viet Nam he has suffered few after effects.  His children are another story however.

@Marp  Thanks for the link and I will check it out.  We have looked into this before and were unsuccessful.  He couldn't even get help from the VA for treatments.  The dates that he was over there don't coincide with the dates that they offer help, go figure.  Anyway, he had MDS (preleukemia).  He is cured now from a transplant in 2009 where his sister, being a perfect match, was the donor.....doesn't happen often.  She is his only sibling. We are thankful everyday.  He is one of the blessed ones to be cured.  We have seen many through the years that haven't been.  We have been to many cancer centers in the past and the hardest to witness are the children.  My DH would always say, "There is always someone worse off than yourself".  He never complained through 10 years of treatments and coming close to death a few times.  We thank the Lord for this gift of life.

Thank you again for the link.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your kind thoughts about the loss of our 2 boys.   It has been 4 years since we let them go, and we did not let them linger and suffer.   

I did in fact call our electric company and complain immediately after the spraying was done.   The smell was very strong, and we did not open our windows, or use our heat pump until the odor dissipated.   I called the electric company again after our dogs were diagnosed with the cancer, as both were diagnosed within the same week.   I had no expectations for anything to be done, but I did voice my opinion about the spray itself, and how quickly it killed the vegetation, and my suspicions as to what happened to our dogs.    I had the satisfaction of having my say, and that's all.  

I feel sure the chemicals are still in the soil around here.   We only do container gardening now.   

Esteemed Contributor

Well, checked with my Town and rabies shots are required by the Commonwealth.  Since a titer test is not an acceptable replacement, I have messaged my State Representative and spoken to my Senator's assistant.

I explained how I was looking for a common denominator in determining the cause of this now epidemic increase in cancer in our pets, explaining that Tufts has said it's now one out of every two dogs.  And that on these forums, vaccinations came up as a probable cause  . Also told her in perusing data on rabies vaccines found out that a 1200lb horse gets 2l while a chichuaha gets 1l:  the size and age of the pet is not considered in determining the dose.  Mentioned the longevity of the vaccination was not taken into consideration either, and FDA oversight seemed to be lacking.  Therefore, was requesting that our Senator and Representative put forth legislation for a Titer test to replace the annual, or every three-year rabies shot.  Then an acceptable pre-determined antibody level be agreed upon before the vaccine be given again. 

She appeared to be quite interested in this subject.  I stated it would be popular legislation with pet-owners and that if Massachusetts enacted such legislation, perhaps, many other states would jump on the bandwagon.  All I can tell you at this point is that she said she will have some of their people start researching this and will get back to me.

Perhaps, if we all take a few minutes to facebook or call our legislatures it might help us get new laws passed that would be a more humane and safe way to care for our furbabies.  I will update you all once I learn if this matter will be addressed.

Haven't read up on heartworm and flea and tick meds yet - sorry!   

Respected Contributor

I don't know why my girl got cancer.  She never got heartworm medicine, we didn't use flea/tick medicine, we don't use chemicals on our lawn or in the house.  Maybe there was something left over in the yard from the previous owner that we aren't aware of.

I believe vaccines are playing a part to some degree.

Respected Contributor

I was thinking about this again.

Years ago a lot of people didn't worry about what they fed their pets.  Table scraps, grocery store dog food - and the pets lift long, healthy lives In the past several years we are told that grocery store food isn't good and to buy premium food.

I'm beginning to wonder if these premium foods may not be part of the problem to the rise in health issues for cats and dogs. Maybe not.  But it also makes you think that perhaps the food bought at the grocery store isn't that bad afterall. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

Years ago a lot of people didn't worry about what they fed their pets.  Table scraps, grocery store dog food - and the pets lift long, healthy lives In the past several years we are told that grocery store food isn't good and to buy premium food.

I'm beginning to wonder if these premium foods may not be part of the problem to the rise in health issues for cats and dogs. Maybe not.  But it also makes you think that perhaps the food bought at the grocery store isn't that bad afterall. 

@RainyDayGal  I know when I was feeding Jade steaks, angus beef meatloaf, hormone free chicken and fresh fish, tuna and sardines, although she was very sick, her fur got sooo thick and soft - it was beautiful!  I did share my Chef boy a dee with her though - she still liked to induldge once in a while.  So store foods are fine.  What bothers me is we never rreally know what's from China in today's dogfood - a big difference from years ago. I think.

Respected Contributor

I have never had a dog that had cancer.

However, we lost our beautiful lilac point Siamese, Minuet, to ****** gland cancer.

She had bleeding, and by the time we noticed, the tumor was visible.  She was about 7 years old.  We had surgery, but the vet told us at the time this was a very aggressive cancer.  She lived longer (several months) than he thought she would.  He said that she had a real willl to live.

She was a pedigree, and that's what made me wonder.  We have lost all but one of our pedigrees, but to different diseases.

Minnie was vaccinated with the kitten vaccines, but we didn't keep up on them.  She was an indoor only kitty, so we didn't vaccinate her.  She never got flea or any other of those medications.

I thought maybe her being a pedigree was what caused her short life.  It still kills me to think of what she went through.

Hyacinth   Cat SadCat Sad

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

@RainyDayGal  I know when I was feeding Jade steaks, angus beef meatloaf, hormone free chicken and fresh fish, tuna and sardines, although she was very sick, her fur got sooo thick and soft - it was beautiful!  I did share my Chef boy a dee with her though - she still liked to induldge once in a while.  So store foods are fine.  What bothers me is we never rreally know what's from China in today's dogfood - a big difference from years ago. I think.

Exactly!  I'm sure a lot of the food are just fine, but the whole scare a few years back with the gluten and China thing - ya, I just can't bring myself to purchase grocery store foods.  But buying premium foods doesn't seem to slow the cancer down either.