Super Contributor

Re: CALLING ALL PANCAKERS!!!!

Hey @Yahooey, Cat Happy

Mr. M is such a submissive and obedient dog. I tell him "No lickies" at least a dozen times a day and he stops immediately, and looks guilty as heck. I feel terrible.

I treat him once I get him into his harness, again when he gets outside, and again when he does his business. Once we get walking, he seems fine and walks with confidence. This morning, we sat on a bench for about 15 minutes where he enjoys observing people and waiting for other goggies to pass by.

The vet just called back and suggested making his outings as enjoyable as possible and I told her I do. She's prescribing Xanax to calm him down and some other supplement. She said it's not good that he only relieves himself once a day and I have to get him out at least twice a day. I will need to get him out in about an hour. I'll just do it.

Thankfully, he won't need another grooming for a few weeks and we'll just go back to me bathing and hand cutting him.

Honored Contributor

@puglet11

It seems you are doing everything in your power to make walkies fun. I hate that you have to give him medication, hope that works and that he takes meds easily. Then you could wean him off. I agree, baffs and hand trims only.

Honored Contributor

I googled on how to help dogs that suddenly don't want to go out. I don't know if this will help...

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Why-is-My-Dog-Suddenly-Scared-to-Go-on-Walks

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Yahooey,

Thank you so much for that excellent article! Some of it I knew intuitively, but I got some great tips as well. A simple thing like changing the cue for the walk makes so much sense. If I've always said, "It's time for walkies!", then it only becomes a scary cue for Mr. M, so tonight I changed it to "Ready to go out?" and I brought the harness and a treat at the same time. Worked beautifully. I also had an old lavendar sachet in my closet and brought it nearby so he could get a relaxing whiff.

I feel his fright is from the grooming and it seems like he is starting to get over it little by little, so the last thing I want to do now is give him drugs. Even though he is frightened when I approach him with the harness and he resists my putting it on, once it's on, he will go out the door. Once we've been walking about 10 minutes, he seems to relax and enjoy it. I just keep praising him and try to stay calm so that he stays calm.

Grandma is another story. She has a more forceful and stern voice approach so I read parts of the article to her so she would understand why that approach does more harm than good. She gets it now.

So many thanks again!! Heart

ai lubs u yahooooeeeeey!

Image result for bichon gif

Honored Contributor

@puglet11

I'm so glad that it worked out last evening. How is it today? Does lavender really work on dogs? I know that the scent is nice if i'm in a serene environment but nothing will calm me down in a busy crowded hot platform waiting for a subway lol

Honored Contributor

Happy Furday Pancakers!

a lil something to make you smile - crank up the volume. I follow this rescue group and the large tuxie doensn't have any hind legs. His name is Cassidy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPz1RaQpw4

Super Contributor

@Yahooey, yesterday and today have been really good. A lot of progress. I can see Mr. M's confidence back in the way he walks outside. The last 3 times I said at our usual walk time, "Ready to go out?", he jumped off the couch and ran to the door, and he didn't back up when I tried to put the harness over his head!  Woohoo! I think the real Mr. M is back!  He's pooping on schedule too. He's still quite itchy, but then my allergies have started early these past couple of weeks instead of September, so I think he's experiencing the same.

What an incredible kitteh Cassidy is! It's amazing how well they adapt with their disabilities. Thanks for the link.

Honored Contributor

@puglet11

What great news - you made my weekend. 

Super Contributor

Hi Pancakers,

It's a good day. Not only is Mr. M back, I think he's New and Improved! His joyful personality and zest for all things outside have returned. It's so heartwarming to see.

Now it's my turn. I don't usually spend a lot of time sitting outside these days. All I was doing was waiting for a bus for about 30 minutes. In that time, I was bitten twice by a mosquito. In the past couple of years, I've developed a more severe reaction to the bites in that they swell and the surrounding skin (about the circumference of an orange) gets bright red.

Well, this time, I developed a huge fluid-filled blister over the bite and red area on the back of my ankle. It hurts like heck more so than being itchy. I'm keeping it clean and putting a dressing on after hydrocortisone. I know it's important to keep the blister intact. It looks and feels so bad that I think I'll go to the derm tomorrow. I also took a Benadryl and now I'm feeling drowsy, so I think I'll take a napzzzzzzzzz.

I hope you're all enjoying this lovely weekend in the NE. Thinking about our neighbors in Texas. Reminds me of Sandy.

Valued Contributor

Hello My Pancake friends!  I want you to know I'm ok. Very fortunate. I'm so nervous about next week, the water flowing down. We are on the high side Hwy 36 in Southern Brazoria County.   I have missed you so. I will get back sooner than before. We lost our Sami (our cat) in November and Dixie on Christmas Eve. We rescued  Daisy Pearl, Parsons/Jack Russell pup in Spring. I'll post a pic of DH with Daisy, Kano, and Blondie. IMG_0673.JPG