Honored Contributor

Bullied Boy, 7, Adopts Cat w/Same Deformities

I apologize that this is so long, but I thought the story and message was so heartwarming!Heart

A bullied Oklahoma boy with two different colored eyes and a cleft lip has found a pet who extraordinarily shares the exact same rare conditions he has. 

Madden Humphreys, seven, is bullied at school for his cleft lip and unique two-toned eyes - one blue and one green.

Madden has a condition called heterochromia iridum which makes each eye a different color, a unique quality shared by David Bowie, Mila Kunis and Keifer Sutherland.

Despite the bullying, Madden has found comfort in his new pet cat Moon who his family says he was 'destined to be best friends with' as they share not only the cleft lip in common, but the same colored eyes as well.

Madden's differences caused him to be bullied by his peers, leaving him feeling isolated.

He no longer felt alone when Moon came into his life on Monday as the perfect companion who shares a cleft lip and the same left blue eye and right green eye.

Heterochromia iridum affects less than one per cent of the population, according to Madden's mother Christina Humphreys.  

She says cleft lips affect an even smaller percentage of people.  

Speaking to Love What Matters, she revealed her family immediately adopted the cat after seeing the creature in need of a family online.

'Last week, a friend posted an image of the cat in our cleft moms group. This kitty was taken in by a rescue group in Minnesota. We knew immediately that this kitty was meant to be part of our family,' she said to Love What Matters.

'Not only does he have a cleft lip like our seven-year-old son Madden, he also has complete heterochromia iridum, like Madden. They were destined to be best friends.

Funny how a pet can make you feel less alone,' she added.

Her family trekked from their hometown in Oklahoma to Minnesota on Monday to adopt the kitten and bring Madden's furry companion home.

'We’re usually not spontaneous people, but we knew that we were meant to love this kitty. Moon, the kitty, and Madden are the perfect companions for each other,' she said. 

Madden has found a special comfort in the pet despite the bullying he faces at school.

'In a world full of bullies and hateful words, we will choose to chase love. I think it’s safe to say that this kitty is love, and was certainly meant to be part of our journey and Madden’s journey,' she said.

However he found the perfect companion after adopting the cat named Moon, pictured above, who shares a cleft palate as well as a left blue eye and a right green eye just like Madden

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Bullied Boy, 7, Adopts Cat w/Same Deformities

Why do we have to be so nasty to each other ??

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie

Unfortunately, there are some that prey on the weak, or those who are different from themselves.

It's a concept that I personally have difficulty understanding.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

God is good for putting these two together.  Look at his sweet innocent face.  How could someone normal bully him.  What do you have to have within yourself to be able to harm someone like him.  I will pray for Madden and a long life for Moon so they can be together for a long time.    

Respected Contributor

I love this and I love that sweet boy. 

I personally think his eyes are awesome. Our dog has different colored eyes 

Honored Contributor

I think the boy is adorable...love his eyes.That makes him beyond special and unique.I don’t know why the parents haven’t had his cleft lip fixed..maybe they don’t have the money.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

Thank you for posting this beautiful article.

They are perfect together. ❤️

Honored Contributor

My mother had two different colored eyes.  She was never bullied because of it. What’s up with that?

I worked with a lady that had two different colored eyes also and I owned two cats from the same litter, both pure white with one blue and one green eye.

I don’t think it is all that rare or a deformity.

I just thought it was funny when someone would say to my Mom “Hey, did you know that you have two different colored eyes.”

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

I think the boy is adorable...love his eyes.That makes him beyond special and unique.I don’t know why the parents haven’t had his cleft lip fixed..maybe they don’t have the money.

It look’s to me like it has been repaired.  He has a small scar, but not a clef lip anymore.

Joaquin Phoenix has a repaired clef lip and he has a small scar too.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie@I thought it looked ok but the article said he was picked on because of that and his eyes.I think he is one of the cutest kids ever so I don’t get the bullying over looks.I hope that the cat will help him to see that different is special.