Valued Contributor

Has anyone had problems using a bug light (bug zapper) around their dogs?

I got a small bug light last week and put it up in our yard.  The skeeters are terrible right now. Ever since then (at least I think it's this) my dog has acted scared to death and very anxious. She won't even go down the steps on that side of the deck.

I was thinking the bug light might be emitting a high pitch sound (or noise) that we can't hear but she can. 

Any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

The only reason I can think of for your dog being scared is that the bug zappers will make a buzzing sound when a mosquito hits the light.  The sound isn't all that loud but it might be a little irritating to a dog's sensitive hearing.   

Maybe try turning it off for a night or two and see if that makes a difference in your dog's behavior.

Valued Contributor

@J Town Girl  She definitely doesn't like it when it "zaps" but even when it is not making any noise (we can hear) she is scared. Strange. I think I'm just going to move it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a 108 lb Alaskan Malamute who was afraid of bug zappers. Many people on my street had them and she didn't want to walk past.

She had a fenced pen with a doghouse and wouldn't stay inside the pen. She could escape under the wire unless an electric charge was turned on. 
  The switch was inside the house. I would turn it off and she would start digging. Then I'd turn it on and she ran back to her house. 
   No wonder she didn't like the bug zappers! 
          🐕‍🦺🐾🐾 🔌 🥅 ⚡️

Esteemed Contributor

I swear at first I thought your title was Bud Light and dogs.....

Anyway, I am sure it is the zapping sound it makes that is making your dog skittish.  We had a dog that would go ballistic when the Twix ad came on....the one where they broke it in two and made that crackle sound.  We would have to mute the TV when it came on.

If it is emitting a sound, there should be a warning on the package.  That would really be a mean thing IMO.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

@J Town Girl  She definitely doesn't like it when it "zaps" but even when it is not making any noise (we can hear) she is scared. Strange. I think I'm just going to move it. 

Moving it sounds like the best solution.  I'm always surprised at what can frighten our dogs.  One time I moved our diningroom table from one angle in the room to another and one of my dogs would not even go into the room for at least two days.  She would go to the doorway and look for just a second and then run into the other room.

One of my Yorkies would get scared of her water bowl if I filled it too high.  She would stand with her head stretched out to get a drink and quickly move away from it.

I think our dogs just get a kick out of keeping us on our toes.

I love to hear what breed of dogs people own.  If it's not too personal of a question may I ask what breed of dog you have?

Valued Contributor

@J Town Girl 

My "bug-zapper hating dog", Clara clara.jpg

Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

@J Town Girl 

My "bug-zapper hating dog", Clara clara.jpg

Aww, she's adorable.   She has such a sweet face.

Valued Contributor

And her "sister" Penelope  13920307_10210204341532770_7382550668005299888_o.jpg

Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

And her "sister" Penelope  13920307_10210204341532770_7382550668005299888_o.jpg

She's a cutie.  Is she by any chance a Puggle?  She looks like a Puggle that we used to take care of at the hospital.