Honored Contributor

Re: Buddy has doggie “runs”🙁

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack 

That's always what my vets prescribed for dogs with diarrhea.

It's actually an antibiotic frequently prescribed for humans too called Flagyl, it's used to treat bacteria and certain parasites in the stomach and other areas of the body.

It's always worked well for my pets.

@KingstonsMom   Yes, it's always worked for mine, too, very quickly.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

DH has Crohn's disease and frequently has to take it and it works well for him too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Since you took him to the vet recently, I think I would call them.  One of my dogs use to throw up and have diarrhea  periodically, and I'd call the vet and they give me smz/tmp and it would clear it right up.

After so much of this with this one dog, the vet asked me what dog food the dog was eating. I told her, and it was one with chicken. She told me to switch to one with beef, I did, and we haven't had that problem since.

Respected Contributor

Many years ago, I purchased an Akita pup from a ranch in Mexico. Wonderful dog, btw. 

He started with diarrhea much as Buddy is experiencing.  I had him to the Vet repeatedly and nothing could be found in his stools, and he appeared in good health, otherwise.

The Vet finally said he would offer him a prophylactic treatment for Giardia, since symptoms were consistent for such.  He was started on Flagyl, as recommended here.  It worked, so I also think it would be worth it to rule it out, or maybe in. Of course, this med hits other targets, as well, so you might get lucky.  

"Giardia infection in dogs may lead to weight loss, chronic intermittent diarrhea, and fatty stool. The stool may range from soft to watery, often has a greenish tinge to it, and occasionally contains blood. Infected dogs tend to have excess mucus in the feces. Vomiting may occur in some cases."

Best of luck to you and Buddy.  

Esteemed Contributor

You mentioned you've recently lost your precious Lola.  Buddy could be in mourning.  Loss affects all us creatures differently and at different times.  Perhaps just assuring him everything will be all right and giving him that extra time and loving might just make his physical woes go away.  And, a few special treats "sent from Lola" may be enjoyed.

If it's just a phycial thing, baby cereal - the rice - helps settle things, I've found.

Hope your furbaby gets better right away. 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  @BlueFinch  @happycat  @KingstonsMom  @NickNack 

and everyone else who shared on this thread....

All such great suggestions!  Thanks so much.  I am going to keep him on the bland diet through tomorrow (Sunday)... add  a tablespoon of peptobismol  to his food  and if he is still having issues, call the vet Monday morning.  

I will let you know how EVERYTHING COMES OUT......  A little humor  there Smiley Happy 

~SeaMaiden~

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I hope Buddy is over this soon!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

@SeaMaiden, I hope Buddy is over this soon!

@happycat    ME TOO!  He NEVER poops in the house since adopting him last March.... and the last two nights he has  pooped on the downstairs rug.   Itwas runny and stinky... YUK!  Man FrustratedWe let him out several times before bed to make sure he could go if he needed... yet he still got up in the middle of the night and pooed. 

My golden Lola in 10 years NEVER  messed in the house one time.  She would always wake me up to let me know she needed out.  Buddy sadly does not do this so I had no idea he needed to go in the middle of the night.  Dogs like people are SO DIFFERENT. 

Esteemed Contributor

Poor you and Buddy. That stuff is not fun to clean up. It makes me about sick thinking about it. They can't help it though.

You are right, dogs are like people, very different. Like children really. My son and daughter are different as night and day, and my dogs are too, lol. 

Trusted Contributor

100% pure pumpkin is best, not the pumpkin with the spices for pumpkin pie. Hope buddy is better soon!