Honored Contributor

Re: Bud, our cat, is quarantined.

[ Edited ]

The cat has an injury of unknown origin and has been outdoors. He also had no current vaccination. The vet is being cautious in a good way. The report to the state is probably a requirement under the conditions the state sets for your cat. The vet treated your cat and vaccinated him. The problem I see here is in COMMUNICATION. You can always call the vet to ask why the cat is quarantined and if there are any precautions you should be taking. Are you supposed to be monitoring the cat for symptoms? You should ask this for clarification. Ask as sweetly as possible. Next time, politely ask the vet to explain. While getting rabies from a cat almost never happens, cats are the number one most reported domestic  animal to be diagnosed with rabies. How often a cat gets a rabies booster vaccine after the initial booster depends on the type of vaccine used and with your state's regulations. Even if your cat had the vaccine he should be seen by a vet (which, in your case, he was) immediately, will usually get a booster shot and will have a ten day or more period of quarantine for observation .  

A question I have is whether your cat had a fever or not. 

"Stages of Feline Rabies

Prodromal Phase

The first stage of rabies is called the Prodromal phase which lasts for one to three days. The Merck Veteinary Manual states symptoms may be hard to identify at first and take less than 21 days to 80 days to set in, with symptoms worsening quickly. The first symptoms may include:

• Fever spikes
  • Erratic behavior
  • Temperament changes
  • Excessive drooling
  • Pupil dilation
  • Seeking solitude
  • Loss of appetite
  • Biting objects
  • Scratching at the site of the bite

Remember, temperament changes can be subtle. An aloof and independent cat may suddenly jump into your lap and want to be pet. A cat that has previously been loving may growl and run away from her owner.

Furious Phase

The second stage of rabies is called the Furious phase. This stage usually begins on the second or third day. It is during this stage the cat will display increasingly erratic behavior. For example, it may begin to eat inedible objects like stones or sticks. Other behaviors you might see in this stage of rabies include:

• Wandering around
  • Hypersensitivity to environmental stimuli
  • Aggressive behavior
  • Irritability
  • Biting itself
  • Fly biting(snapping at objects that are not there)
  • Disorientation
  • Seizures
  • Growling
  • Trembling
  • Lack of muscle coordination

Paralytic Phase

The third stage of rabies is the Paralytic stage, also referred to as the Dumb phase. The cat will become depressed and unresponsive. Other symptoms include:

• "Foaming" at the mouth
  • Weakness
  • labored breathing
  • Choking
  • Respiratory failure
  • Coma
  • Paralysis that eventually leads to death

Rabies Vaccine

Rabies can be controlled. If your cat receives a rabies vaccination on a regular schedule, she won't be as susceptible to rabies. The vaccine is usually given when your cat is about three months old with a booster shot one year afterward. After that, vaccines be administered ever one to three years.

How often your cat receives the shot depends on the type of vaccine used and state regulations, so check with your vet to make sure your cat is up to date. Even if your pet is vaccinated for rabies , however, she should be seen by a vet immediately if you suspect she's been exposed. She will have a ten day period of quarantined observation and she may get a possible booster vaccine to make sure she hasn't been "

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CDC quarantine of pets for rabies 

Quoted from CDC page:

"Cats, dogs and ferrets

If you were bitten by a cat, dog, or ferret that appeared healthy at the time you were bitten, it can be confined by its owner for 10 days and observed. No anti-rabies prophylaxis is needed. No person in the United States has ever contracted rabies from a dog, cat or ferret held in quarantine for 10 days.

If a dog, cat, or ferret appeared ill at the time it bit you or becomes ill during the 10 day quarantine, it should be evaluated by a veterinarian for signs of rabies and you should seek medical advice about the need for anti-rabies prophylaxis."

803BFBAD-F2A4-42A8-AB7E-5A9E751DC7E8.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

You May be able to appeal this, and keep Bud on House arrest, if your vet made a report on it, but it would likely require a tiger.  Was this a Suggestion, or more seriously a HDP action?

I am so sorry for Bud and send him {{{hugs}}}.  

Cats are notorious for healing on the top of the skin, but not below.  We just got my Dad’s cat over some nasty bites. Maybe he wanted Bud in to help him heal.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe  I am not going to appeal this order.  Bud, for the most part, is in the bedroom, even though he somehow got out about 3 this morning.  He came in to the bedroom, jumped on me, and stayed with me for about 3 hours.  He is now back in the bedroom.   Bud's behavior has not changed.  He is still sweet, wants his way, and is eating well.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Poor Bud!  

So the quarantine is because of the bite of unknown origin.

Is there something wrong with your *old and cranky* cat that it bites Bud, and your poor dogs and you?  Not good!

I wouldn't let Bud out any more.  He's obviously not safe just laying on the chaise lounge on your back deck, if he got bit outside.