Esteemed Contributor

Bud, our cat, is quarantined.

Bud has been acting like he did not feel good for a few days.  While he spends most of his time in the house, he likes to sit out on our deck in my chair.  Bud was a stray and he had all of his shots again, but with our concierge vet.  The vet did not notify us (my mistake for forgetting) that shots were due this month.  So, we are a few days late.

Today, we took him to the new vet that we have used for a little over a year.  Because we are a few days late, they reported Bud to the state and he will be quarantined at home for up to 60 days.  He is not a happy boy.  He cannot have any contact with any of our other pets, and they are all up-to-date on their shots.  Bud will be living in a large cage in our kitchen, at least for now. 

Bud had a high fever and a cut that looked like a bite on his shoulder.  We believe, since he is always in our yard and scared of just about everything, that our old and cranky cat bit him.  

Please keep a good thought for Bud, and for us, since this may be a very long two months.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

Re: Bud, our cat, is quarantined.

Well wishes for Bud!  Patience and blessing to you and your house for helping Bud through this tough time. 

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl 

Wishing you & Bud prayers & good thoughts that Bud feels better soon. 

I feel bad for him since he has no understanding of what's happening.  If he allows you, just treat him special with more attention and affection.  Maybe that will help him not to feel left out.  

Take care & I hope the next 2 months are speedy for you.

Esteemed Contributor

A FEW days late..............?   What kind of an animal vaccination is so important to be reported to the state should the exact date be missed?   Don't get it.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate that for Bud and you, one of my cats would be howling till I let him out if that was us.

I have nevr heard of this though. I have taken strays that I had no knowledge of their history to the vet for shots and never been told to quarantine them. I wonder if this is a new thing?

Respected Contributor

WOW!  Never heard of a vet reporting somebody to the state??!

My cats are all indoor house cats, and many breeders I know are spooked about letting them get regular yearly vaccinations, which may really not be needed, or which could potentially cause injection site sarcomas.

I would never keep a cat in a cage for 60 days--that is terrible.  Perhaps you have an extra room or bathroom, where he could walk around and have a window and some meaningful exercise.

Did they provide any kind of diagnosis or idea of what they are afraid of that requires the quarantine?

Wouldn't the cranky cat also be able to bite Bud inside your house, not just the yard?

Perhaps you need another veterinarian.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  I could not believe it, and I had to sign a paper saying that I would quarantine him before they would release him back to me.  I can see if I was months or years late, but a few days seems extreme.  I always thought, apparently incorrectly, that all vaccines lasted at least a month after their expiration date.  Anyway, lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

Are you sure he is not being quarantined because of the bite and not the late vaccination?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat  Bud was a stray and got his vaccines before he ever came into our home.  I took him to the vet as soon as he would let me pick him up.  I have no idea whether this is being overly cautious or new policy in this day and age.  I really feel that if this is a state policy that they are really overstepping.  

Starting tomorrow, I will probably set him up in one of the bedrooms so that he has more freedom.  What I am really hoping is that we get a call from the vet very soon stating that he can be out of quarantine, just so that he can wander in the house.

@DiAnne  They seem to go hand-in-hand, but the shot seemed to be the bigger deal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl   That doesn't make any sense at all.  I don't think that would happen here even if you were a year late in vaccinations.  I probably would let him have free run of the house but just not let him outside.  Is it a state law?  I wonder if another Vet would have done the same thing.

Did the Vet do this because your cat had been bitten and they want to make sure Bud doesn't have rabies?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau