Trusted Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Our dogs seemed to do better with the chicken flavored paste. But they really still don't like it.

We use the chicken flavored toothpaste for dogs, too, and my little poodle just licks it off. She doesn't understand why I am trying to brush her teeth. She tolerates it to some degree, but I really believe that unless they learn to have their teeth brushed as a puppy or you are really, really good with training dogs, it's hard to get them to cooperate. Still, I figure it's better than nothing. 

Honored Contributor

I used to try to brush my dogs' teeth but never was able to.  I just wasn't good at it.  I have always given my dogs a Greenie every day though.  My dog that died in March had a Greenie every day since I got her at 12 weeks old.  She lived to be almost 13 years old and never needed a dental.  Most of my other dogs have needed dentals every year.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

My dogs got their teeth cleaned at the vet and they look so nice.  I decided to brush them each night to see if this will cut down on bad breath.  So far it's almost been a month and I'm getting a little better at it.  No bad breath yet - yippee! - but neither one is especially fond of it.

Does this get better or will they always react like that?  They give me a look when I approach them with the brush, as if I've got a medieval torture device in my hand.  

I use CET toothpaste as per my vet recommendation (definitely use a pet toothpaste-not human- and an enzymatic one is best) and have been brushing their teeth for about 5 years now. They like the taste of the toothpaste which I am not sure is a good thing because as I brush them, they try to lick it off, lol. I don't like my dogs to be sedated just to have their teeth professionally cleaned so I try to brush them at least a few times a week myself. It really helps. One dog doesn't mind it at all and the other one will go hide when he knows I am bringing out the toothpaste and brush but once I find him, lol, he begrudgingly lets me do it. He definitely has gotten better with it over time.

I wish I would have started cleaning their teeth as puppies but never even thought of it then! I thought since they chewed on hard bones that helps keep their teeth cleaner, which it does, BUT my vets are now warning people of doing this because it can cause cracks in their teeth, especially the older they get. They see tons of dogs with cracks and if they are deep enough or get worse over time, that can cause infections and pain. But brushing their teeth definitely saves cost and potential medical risks but keeping them clean yourself! That is awesome you are doing it ever night- that should really help keep their gums and teeth healthy and cleaner.

Excellent Advise, this happened with our dog with those hard white nylabones,  he had to have a tooth pulled. 

Yep, those too. Both my vets say those are too hard as well! My dog just had 2 (or 3?? can't remember!) teeth pulled and had to have 4 sealed! I couldn't believe it and thought I was a bad mama, lol, but they said it is typical but most people don't know it has happened. I had always heard to let them chew on hard bones, knuckle bones, etc to help them clean there teeth...

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@deb5555 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

My dogs got their teeth cleaned at the vet and they look so nice.  I decided to brush them each night to see if this will cut down on bad breath.  So far it's almost been a month and I'm getting a little better at it.  No bad breath yet - yippee! - but neither one is especially fond of it.

Does this get better or will they always react like that?  They give me a look when I approach them with the brush, as if I've got a medieval torture device in my hand.  

I use CET toothpaste as per my vet recommendation (definitely use a pet toothpaste-not human- and an enzymatic one is best) and have been brushing their teeth for about 5 years now. They like the taste of the toothpaste which I am not sure is a good thing because as I brush them, they try to lick it off, lol. I don't like my dogs to be sedated just to have their teeth professionally cleaned so I try to brush them at least a few times a week myself. It really helps. One dog doesn't mind it at all and the other one will go hide when he knows I am bringing out the toothpaste and brush but once I find him, lol, he begrudgingly lets me do it. He definitely has gotten better with it over time.

I wish I would have started cleaning their teeth as puppies but never even thought of it then! I thought since they chewed on hard bones that helps keep their teeth cleaner, which it does, BUT my vets are now warning people of doing this because it can cause cracks in their teeth, especially the older they get. They see tons of dogs with cracks and if they are deep enough or get worse over time, that can cause infections and pain. But brushing their teeth definitely saves cost and potential medical risks but keeping them clean yourself! That is awesome you are doing it ever night- that should really help keep their gums and teeth healthy and cleaner.

Excellent Advise, this happened with our dog with those hard white nylabones,  he had to have a tooth pulled. 

@deb5555, my vet had warned me about the bones causing cracked teeth, but I didn't know about Nylabones.  My dog chews them all the time. Are you talking about the ones that are shaped like bones?  Now I'm thinking I shouldn't give them to her anymore.

Yes, both of my vets included those hard plastic bone shaped nylabones in their warnings of not letting dogs chew on them. My one dog loved to chew on hard bones so I feel sad he no longer can but oh well, got to do what is best for him. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For anyone getting started, and if your dog doesn't like the toothbrush, you can use cheesecloth.  I just wet a small square (a couple of layers) and rub it on my dog's teeth and gums.  So far I haven't put any dog toothpaste on it.  She actually sits still for this and she hated the toothbrush.  I also have finger dexterity issues and the cheesecloth is much easier for me than trying to manipulate a small brush in the mouth of a dog that is trying to reject it!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@doxie1 I wasn't sure if you meant that or not, just wanted to clarify that there are other options and I just didn't want OP to feel like that  is what she had to do. Smiley Happy I don't brush my dogs' teeth after every meal, lol, just a few times a week actually. I am trying to be better at doing it more often but my vet says that a few times a week is fine and certainly better than nothing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Brushing dog's teeth

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@deb5555, my vet had warned me about the bones causing cracked teeth, but I didn't know about Nylabones.  My dog chews them all the time. Are you talking about the ones that are shaped like bones?  Now I'm thinking I shouldn't give them to her anymore.

Yes, both of my vets included those hard plastic bone shaped nylabones in their warnings of not letting dogs chew on them. My one dog loved to chew on hard bones so I feel sad he no longer can but oh well, got to do what is best for him. Smiley Happy

Thanks @HappyDaze.  I really had not heard this.  I'll have to take them away from her.  They're her favorite things to chew on.  She chews on them for a long time after breakfast every morning.  I feel terrible taking them from her, but I don't want her teeth to crack.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@deb5555 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Yes those are the ones.  I brush my dogs teeth daily with the cet chicken flavored tooth paste since he was brought home as a puppy, he enjoys it and wags his tail.

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

Yes those are the ones.  I brush my dogs teeth daily with the cet chicken flavored tooth paste since he was brought home as a puppy, he enjoys it and wags his tail.

Awww, so cute!

Contributor

Hi all.... I have a little Australian labradoodle, Willie, 25 lbs. and 8 years old.  I use Orapup for him...check it out on the internet...you just squeeze some of the solution onto the oropup pad and he licks it, and apparently it cleans his tongue and changes the ph in his mouth.  We like it and the vet thinks his teeth and gums are looking good.