Esteemed Contributor

Bright spots in my day... birds and cats!

[ Edited ]

It's very dark, dreary and stormy here this afternoon, and although at least it's gotten cooler,  it's just been one of those days.  But I was looking out my back patio doors and saw the cutest little bird taking a bath in the bird bath in pouring down rain!  He kept jumping in, flopping around, jumping out, and then back in again, about five times, all the while with the rain pouring down on him.  That was one happy little bird!

I've also been loving Missie, my little cat who is missing her big sister, as am I -  she is so sweet, but it's very hard without our Baby Cat (my avatar).  And I'm going next door several times a day to look after Jack, a very handsome Bengal with those beautiful blue eyes, just to give him some loving and let him know he hasn't been abandoned.  My neighbors are at the beach.  He's a sweetheart, too.

There have been so many contentious threads here on other forums off and on today as I've been checking in and out, I just decided to concentrate on a couple of the simple, wonderful things we sometimes take for granted, like sweet cats and adorable little birds!

Respected Contributor

Re: Bright spots in my day... birds and cats!

I think it is great to take time to be thankful for simple things. Baby cat is beautiful. We can learn a lot from that little bird.

doxie

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed your post, kittymomNC! I love birds and cats as well. I have a hummingbird feeder outside on my back deck and also on the opposite side a small birdbath that sits on the railing. I have goldfinches that make trips to the birdbath all day long. I lost my 18 yr. old female cat, Mollie last September. I miss her terribly. I have a younger female cat, Haylie that is 13 and she misses her big sister too. She doesn't spend as much time watching the birds as my other girl did, but I enjoy it a lot!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lori Kaye wrote:
I enjoyed your post, kittymomNC! I love birds and cats as well. I have a hummingbird feeder outside on my back deck and also on the opposite side a small birdbath that sits on the railing. I have goldfinches that make trips to the birdbath all day long. I lost my 18 yr. old female cat, Mollie last September. I miss her terribly. I have a younger female cat, Haylie that is 13 and she misses her big sister too. She doesn't spend as much time watching the birds as my other girl did, but I enjoy it a lot!!

Thanks, Lori Kaye.  I understand totally about your Mollie.  We just lost Baby Cat at age 17 on May 9 after 4 years with kidney disease and almost 500 trips to the vet.  I used to post a lot when people had questions about kidney disease, but I've only mentioned this a couple of times on the forums.  It took a while to be able to put her picture in as my avatar and see her when I post.  

This post has been partially deleted and edited due to the flagrantly sarcastic remark about this thread in the Fashion Forum, as explained in my post #11 here.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
What a lovely post, Kittymom. It is just a perfect summer day here in Connecticut. I also believe we should revel in an ordinary, happy day. Days like this will often be remembered as much as special occasions.

Right now our Maine Coon kitty, Lily (Queen of all she surveys) is zonked out in her kitty bed surrounded by a few of her stuffed mice toys. She's such a joy to us, and always keeps us laughing. Yes, being adopted by two old retired folks was the jackpot for her, too

We love the birds, and have a nice variety in our kind of woodsy Suburb. We normally have several feeders and also a suet feeder. I say normally, because there comes a time when you just cannot have a bird feeder your yard! It attracts the Bears like crazy. While we miss our little birdies (but we do see some hummingbirds, Lily misses watching them from our Kitchen and our porch, in particular. It's all enclosed with big windows and screens, for her viewing pleasure. She must always be inside, for her general health and safety. There are coyotes and a few bobcats roaming around, so you never see any pets roaming, either. The Bears, oh well, just saunter through the hard, looking for trash.

We live close to two game preserves, which are beautiful and home to many of God's creatures. It's kind of like a mini Noah's ark here. Who knew?
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, kittymomNC. I'm so sorry about your Baby Cat and I totally understand how you feel. I have had quite a few cats over the years but my Mollie touched my heart in a way the others never did. They told us she had kidney disease as well. We made many trips to the vet with her and finally decided she had had enough and we made the painful decision to have her put down. My vet did an ultrasound after she passed and discovered that her bladder was full of cancer. I realized we had made the right decision to put her down but I will always wonder if she had been suffering and we didn't realize it.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Dear Kittymom, so sorry that your kitty had to cross the rainbow bridge. We have been through it. IIt is awful. Before Lily, our little Callie was ailing for quite a while. I think we had our vet on speed dial. In the end, it was discovered she had a rare cancer. We had to let her cross over, out of love. Much tears and sadness. After a time, my sister-in-law
Arranged for us to talk with a Maine Coon breeder in Florida, who was an old friend of hers and was looking for a good home for Lily, who was being retired from shows and breeding at a young age. We paid for her flight from Florida and picked her up at the airport. The rest is history. All my best.
Esteemed Contributor

PamfromCT, it sounds like you live in such a lovely place, although I must admit, I can't imagine living where the bears and bobcats wander through the yard!  Sometimes I just have to stop and watch my little "critters", the chipmunks and squirrels, running around the yard, and my cats have always loved lying on my desk (which is of course not really my desk since it has a blanket on it for their window bed), and watching them out the window.  I feed the critters to draw them closer to the house, and it's kind of low to the ground there so they could get a good look... although Missie is alone there now.  

Someone once told me that if he were ever reincarnated, he wanted to come back as one of my cats, because I pampered them so much!  It sounds like your Lily has a wonderful home!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Doxie wrote:

I think it is great to take time to be thankful for simple things. Baby cat is beautiful. We can learn a lot from that little bird.

doxie

Doxie, thank you for your kind words.  My little Baby Cat certainly was beautiful, and so sweet and loving, and so many other descriptive words that I can't say them all.  If only more people were a little more like our animals, what a wonderful world we would have!  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, Kittymom. Yes, our Lily has a great home. As a matter of fact, we call her the CEO. She's just a bit spoiled. And who did it? Mommy and Daddy! Take care!