Respected Contributor

Re: Blue Buffalo Not All It's Been Cracked Up to Be - Company Admits Deception

This is so disturbing but not surprising.  Not many companies have integrity anymore. I buy blue buffalo for my kitties and I guess this will be the last bag.  I would really like to support great companies and this one just fell of the list. It's hard to know what to trust these days. 

Trusted Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

if you know Dr Jeff Young, he has a show on Animal, Planet called Rocky Mountain Vet, he reocmmends 2 kinds of pet food, one being made in Canada and the other in Thailand, which I mentioned upthread, It is Weruva.  It is made in Thailand.

So go figure, vets recommend all natural and apparently he thinks Weruva is made with natural ingredients.

The other company that has a Canadian plant that I toured as part of a study was Royal Canin. The facility was spotless.

I use Acana and Orajen, Canadian, human grade quality food. Not everyone can afford to buy these types of food however.

Earthborn also comes highly recommended. 

Is your assumption that because something is made in Thailand that it can't be made with all natural ingredients and that it can't be good for your animals?  Just curious, since the only thing I've heard and read about that brand has been that it is a good one.  A friend of mine uses it. 

@scotnovelplease delete your post, or at least my part of it., The author of this thread did not want to discuss any of this and I have removed all my comments but can't on this one because you quoted me. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl  I'm sorry you deleted your post.  I found it to be the most interesting post in this thread.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Blue Buffalo admitted the truth in court yesterday: A “substantial” and “material” portion of Blue Buffalo pet food sold over the past several years contained poultry by-product meal, despite pervasive advertising claims to the contrary. petitive foods that contain by-products.

What is chicken (or poultry) by-product meal? Generally speaking, it’s ground-up chicken necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines and it’s not supposed to include feathers (although Purina’s testing found feathers). Animal by-products generally are thought to include organs — lung, spleen, kidney, brain, liver — blood, bone, fatty tissue, stomach and intestines. Which, under certain circumstances, could be perfectly fine ingredients, as long as they were not rendered. Unfortunately, meat meals are typically the result of rendering, a process involving one of the meat industry’s most revolting aspects of dealing with slaughterhouse waste.

But, the central issue is not whether by-products are bad for pets to eat, it’s about Blue Buffalo’s insistent claim that their pet food did not contain ground-up chicken intestines and feet, when in fact it probably did or still does (no one is certain).

SELLING THE SIZZLE NOT THE STEAK

Contrary to its carefully cultivated reputation for authenticity, Blue Buffalo’s advertising campaign, as it turns out, was built on a claim that should have been verified. And the image of the little family run business up against Big Pet Food isn’t exactly accurate either: Blue Buffalo is, in fact, owned by a big Wall Street firm and they outsource all their manufacturing, as do most pet food manufacturers.

Started in 2002, Blue Buffalo was propelled by advertising techniques Bill Bishop honed as an ad man on Madison Avenue where he ran ad campaigns for for brands such as Kool-Aid, Tang, Tareyton cigarettes (“I’d rather fight than switch”), and later SoBe, a beverage company he co-founded in the 1990s. Blue Buffalo last year racked up an impressive $1 billion in sales, making it America’s fastest-growing major purveyor of pet food and the largest specializing in the all-natural kibble niche.

Bishop realized that getting into the pet food market by starting small with contract manufacturers making the product was a no-brainer and that all one had to do was, “Slap on a good label, come up with a slogan, and off you go.” He already knew it would be a cinch to pull the wool over consumer’s eyes, because, as he said, “There were already a lot of smoke and mirrors in how pet food was advertised, and that was the sort...

Being the consummate ad man, one who might still believe that any publicity is good publicity, one can’t help but speculate that the wily Bishop has lured Purina into a fight where attention is the real objective.

AN APOLOGY, A RECALL, AND A REFUND

All consumers have received thus far in this debacle in the way of an apology (if you can even call it that) is thewishy-washy half-admission that Blue Buffalo products “may” contain undeclared by-products. If Blue Buffalo sold products to consumers with by-products, has products in the marketplace that are mislabeled, I would expect Blue Buffalo to withdraw those products from the market.

However, despite this admission, Blue Buffalo still has failed to acknowledge complete responsibility for betraying consumer trust in their brand:

• They still have not informed consumers of the presence of poultry by-product meal is or may have been in certain formulas;
  • They still have not revealed if the mislabeled product(s) were removed from the market or which brands may still be on the market or in consumer’s homes;
  • They still have not issued a recall;
  • They still have not offered refunds for purchases of said product;
  • Instead, they have chosen to place the entire blame at the feet of its suppliers.

Perhaps Blue Buffalo isn’t necessarily worse than other brands, but there’s no real evidence it’s any better and therein lays the crux of the matter – that consumers were ripped off.

Quite simply, the very least consumers deserve in an unreserved apology for the deception, the lies that seduced pet parents to buy a pet food brand that they were told was better than other brands and superior in quality for the health and well being of their beloved pets.

While consumers are angry and hurt by the deception, Bishop shrugs and says, “What can you do? Litigation is part of modern business.”

SOURCES:

http://www.petfoodhonesty.com/pressrelease.php

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-07-24/blue-buffalo-vs-dot-purina-in-dog-food-fight-over-nu...

===========

DISGUSTNG lying deceitful scumbags.

I stopped feeding my dog BB the first time it was recalled.  That was years ago.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Purina has made dog food for 120 years. All of our dogs since I was a little girl and all of our dogs as married adults have eaten Purina and every one lived well into old age.  Hard to argue with that, seeing is believing.

Honored Contributor

Amazing, it"s difficult to trust any food companies anymore for human or animal consumption.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

This isn't a discussion about what foods we feed, or what our vets recommend, or where they're made.  It's about Blue Buffalo having pulled the wool over the public's collective eye.

why would you say that? Any discussion about pet food can take many twists and turns. But if you want a discussion strictly limited to Blue Buffalo's deception, I will remove my posts post haste. 

@60sgirl  you don't need to remove your post, but I said it to keep the discussion on track.  This isn't a discussion about pet food, in general, but how the Blue Buffalo company pulled one over on the public, for who knows how long, by their deceitful practices.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just read this & I am concerned .... does anyone know which BB dog food contains the byproducts? ... I buy BB " Blue Stix" dog treats made with deboned chicken & brown rice .... and ...BB Health Bars baked with bacon,egg & cheese or pumpkin & cinnamon.... the ingredients on the Health Bars include " chicken meal".

Sorry if I am going off topic here but, I need to know if I should throw these items in the garbage ...... Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I just read this & I am concerned .... does anyone know which BB dog food contains the byproducts? ... I buy BB " Blue Stix" dog treats made with deboned chicken & brown rice .... and ...BB Health Bars baked with bacon,egg & cheese or pumpkin & cinnamon.... the ingredients on the Health Bars include " chicken meal".

Sorry if I am going off topic here but, I need to know if I should throw these items in the garbage ...... Thanks!!!

@January121  I don't know the answer to your question.  I just wanted you to know that there's nothing wrong with chicken meal.  Here's the definition:  

Chicken meal is ground up chicken meat that has been carefully dried to a moisture level of 10%. The protein content is 65% and the fat level is 12%. Regular chicken contains about 70% water with 18% protein and 5% fat. To create chicken meal, ingredients are placed into large vats and cooked.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm SO tired of the bs that's comes with trying to feed my cats & dogs quality food. I can't even begin to tell you how many premium brands I've tried. Over the years there have been tons of recalls. So I switch....then more recalls, or my animals won't eat the new food, or they vomit the new food.

I've tried every single brand mentioned in the posts above. The cats (all rescues) are SOOOO hard to please. And some have internal issues with many/most foods.

Enter BBuffalo Grain Free.....the cats eat it, like it, & do very well on it. My dog eats their grain-free duck formula. Maybe the company will be forced to get their "stuff" together because of bad press.

I had no idea feeding cats would be such a difficult, time consuming task. It's absolutely ridiculous. We try our best to feed them properly, & it's just never easy. I'm sick of it. Cat Sad