Honored Contributor

Blind Rescued Elephant Welcomed by New Herd!

This is one heartwarming moment this blind elephant will never forget as she was welcomed into her new herd for the very first time.

In the uplifting footage, rescued elephant Ploy Thong can be seen sending out low vibrations, letting the other elephants know she was there.

It was not long before the group then took note, heading over to inspect the new arrival, touching her with their trunks in an affectionate way.

The moment, captured at Elephant Nature Park, Thailand, would have been a huge relief for Ploy Thong, who has suffered years of discomfort before being rescued by the staff at the Save Elephant Foundation.

Blind in both eyes, Ploy Thong is estimated to be around 30 years old.

Previously, she carried tourists on her back in the Pattaya region of Thailand for 16 years, using only her trunk to sniff out her routes whilst humans used her for a ride.

Before that, Ploy Thong worked in the circus.

While setting another elephant, Bua Keaw, free, staff from Save Elephant Foundation noticed Ploy Thong's struggles and negotiated a path to freedom with her owner.

She was then brought to Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai, where the incredible first interaction with her new herd took place, on February 3.

Staff at Elephant Nature Park said: 'Ploy Thong is one more elephant that we decided to rescue.

in the footage, rescued elephant Ploy Thong can be seen sending out low vibrations, letting the other elephants know she was there

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Blind Rescued Elephant Welcomed by New Herd!

All animals need love and to feel wanted too. 🐘❤️🐘

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish they could rescue all of them that need it.  😢

That's a very heartwarming story.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited to say: I wonder why the chains are in that picture.  I hope it's just for a gate or something.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Edited to say: I wonder why the chains are in that picture.  I hope it's just for a gate or something.

@NickNack

It is, it's a chain between the 2 enclosures, to see how the herd was gonna react/accept the new elephant, before releasing hm into their pen.

Once it was evident that the herd excepted him, he now lives with the herd, and they guide him to food, water, etc.!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack

It is, it's a chain between the 2 enclosures, to see how the herd was gonna react/accept the new elephant, before releasing hm into their pen.

Once it was evident that the herd excepted him, he now lives with the herd, and they guide him to food, water, etc.!

@KingstonsMom  It's so wonderful that the herd accepted him so well.  Thank you for letting me know about the chain, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

eElephants have such empathy and deep emotions.

I think they could teach humans a thing or two about what is important.