Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Been taking care of a friends dog for the  past 2 months because she is now in assisted living.  We have absolutely fallen in love with him.   Unfortunately we can't permanently adopt him, mainly the high cost of having a pet these days.  He will be going to his new owner this morning.   We did a meet and greet meeting yesterday with her and her dog.  The dogs became friends and the lady is a very sweet person.   She definitely is a animal lover and he will have a wonderful new home.  She winters in Florida so he will be a snowbird come next month.   But I'm a basket case, been in tears since yesterday.  My head tells me it's for the best but my heart is breaking.  This is Lexi.  
IMG_0772.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Bittersweet Day

[ Edited ]

Just because what we do is for the best, it doesn't hurt any less. You were wonderful to give him a safe home until he could meet his new owner.

Respected Contributor

@Mi47 I know it hurts...but it was so good of you to keep him safe & loved until he could meet his furever person! @On It said it perfectly.

On a side note: DH & I have come to the sad conclusion that when our 2 elderly cats and our 5-year-old dog are gone, there will be no more for us--the high cost of vet care is really affecting us now that we are retired. The dog and one of the cats have "issues" that require 4-5 vet visits each per year. The cost of care has skyrocketed, especially since we got the first cat 15 1/2 years ago. Plus, the dog is on daily medication that costs about $160 a month!

Honored Contributor

Oh my, I don't even know what to say.   Such a beautiful face!  I give you so much credit for stepping up in the first place and if you feel you are making the right decision, then you probably are.  Best wishes.

Valued Contributor

I am feeling your pain.  What is best for them is always hard on us.

Respected Contributor

That is a difficult situation.  In the past I have fostered two dogs but I fell in love with them and ended up adopting them.  It's hard to let them go.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for being the one this little one could depend on.  I know you will miss him. He is so beautiful and looks so sweet. The world needs many more like you. Heart

Frequent Contributor

Vermint:    We lost our last dog 2 years ago.   At that time we made the decision no more pets due to our ages (76/85), health issues and the high cost of pet ownership.   As hard as this is on me, the original owner had to go to an assisted living overnight and had to leave her home and her 2 pets, extremely difficult for her emotionally.  Her husband has been in memory care since 2018.   Just a sad situation for all.  

Respected Contributor

My heart goes out to you...

But your kindness and generosity allowed Lexi a safe haven where she felt loved. May the pain you now feel lessen in time knowing you were the bridge to finding a space where she will be protected and cherished.

Your wanting the best for Lexi is evident by the painful decision that the (exorbitant) price of pet health care was the main issue in not being able to keep her. As much as you wanted to.

I will say a prayer for you both.Heart 

Respected Contributor

@Mi47 wrote:

Vermint:    We lost our last dog 2 years ago.   At that time we made the decision no more pets due to our ages (76/85), health issues and the high cost of pet ownership.   As hard as this is on me, the original owner had to go to an assisted living overnight and had to leave her home and her 2 pets, extremely difficult for her emotionally.  Her husband has been in memory care since 2018.   Just a sad situation for all.  

@Mi47 We're 68 & 70...and feeling the pinch! I feel so sorry for the owner, she must be heartbroken, as you are. And, honestly, this is another reason why we don't want more pets...the fear of something happening to us, leaving no one to take care of them. My brother has said he would take our dog (they adore each other!), but no one wants two old cats. So, I have asked that they be put to sleep if good homes can't be found in a reasonable time. I can't bear the thought of them going to a shelter!

It's just a shame that the expense of vet care prevents so many older people from having the companionship of a pet these days.