Occasional Contributor

There is a blackbird/grackle/crow sitting on my top step on my porch.  I walked past him and he didnt try to fly away.  Doesnt seem injured.  Doesnt look like a fledgling.  Any ideas on whats going on?

Honored Contributor

This might be a case for @Bird mama  Tah dah!

Or the bird might be so used to people that he/she is casual about contact.  Or he/she could be hurt but just not visibly.

It will probably take more than one encounter to figure out what's going on.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding, I work full time :-)

Based on my experience, when a fully feathered bird (could be an adult, could be a juvenille) does not fly away when a human approaches it, that's a sure sign the bird is not well. 

I've seen this most often when a bird is near the end of life.

This is what a common grackle looks like

This is a blackbird - they also can have orange or red on their wings

This is an American Crow - they are big, like a small cat

Does the bird on your porch look like any of these?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@DEnatsfan

@GingerPeach

see above post

Honored Contributor

Re: Bird on my steps

[ Edited ]

From my experience with wild birds that have done similar things, I've found it's usually either that, as Homegirl has already said, it's been injured or stunned and you just can't tell, or it may be sick.  Often birds will fly into windows and stun themselves and need to sit still for a really long time.  I've thought that several of our stunned birds were going to die, but they finally flew off if I just let them alone long enough.  Also I've found that often a sick bird will come close to our house as it's dying.  Unfortunate circumstance, but I think they feel safer by the house. 

ETA: Well, I see that Birdmama has come to your rescue, and also been faster than me with posting!  Cat LOL

Occasional Contributor

Hi

Just got back from PT for my hubby...bird is still there.  Looks thirsty so I put out a big bowl of water in the shady side and some birdseed.  I looks like a crow, tail is very short so maybe it is a fledgling?   It did snap at a fly that was buzzing nearby.  Calling out to its family.   I feel bad.  What do they eat?

Occasional Contributor

crow.jpg

Honored Contributor

@DEnatsfan

Any time that you have a younger bird or an ill bird, the first threat is predation.  Next is dehydration - so I commend you for making sure water is available.  Did you walk past the crow?  Can it move at all?  The reason I ask is when flies start circling - that's not so good.  Without getting up on it, it's hard to say if it has a wound that may be infected that is putting out a whiff that could be attracting flies.

I got this from wikipedia about a crow's diet

The American crow is omnivorous. It will feed on invertebrates of all types, carrion, scraps of human food, seeds, eggs and nestlings, stranded fish on the shore and various grains. American crows are active hunters and will prey on mice, frogs, and other small animals. In winter and autumn, the diet of American crows is more dependent on nuts and acorns. Occasionally, they will visit bird feeders.[14]

Occasional Contributor

It doesnt look or act like it is injured, hopping and bopping around on my stoop.  I could have touched it.  I put out some tiny raw fish pieces (I was defrosting for our dinner).  I might see if I can corral iinto my bushes at the bottom of my steps.  At least it would have some cover for the night.   I am a sucker for animals.  I posted the pic from the internet.  Thats what it looks like.  

Honored Contributor

@DEnatsfan

This is going to sound crazy, but if you boil an egg and shell it and break it up, it will probably eat it.  It's also a good source of protein and fats for the bird.

A boiled egg is part of the handfeeding diet for sparrows and starlings - the only birds I have experience with 'fresh out of the egg' (hatching/rescue).

It's cool to meet another animal lover DEnatsfan :-)